The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacing ssl cert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frwjd, Feb 9, 2008.

1. frwjd

frwjd Member

Hi all - sorry newbie here!

I have found many, many topics on ssl certs here but, unless I don't understand them, none to solve my problem.

I am trying to replace an expired cert (from rapid ssl I think) with a new cert from Geotrust. I followed the instructions and everything went ok but there are error messages on my url saying cert has expired or is not active. It looks as though the new cert has not totally over written the old one - does that make sense? :confused:

I've tried to delete the cert and start over again but I get an error message :

The Certificate for www.mydomain cannot be fully deleted, because it is installed in the system ssl directory!

I have been trying to fix this for some time, my host seems to have gone awol and I am losing business. Any assistance greatly appreciated - thanks!

2. frwjd

frwjd Member

Been searching the internet and think I just need to reboot apache - anyone know if that is likely to be the problem?

thanks

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need to reboot if you are manipulating certs via cpanel / whm. But it seems that you need to remove your old cert before installing the new one. You should be able to delete your old cert through whm in the ssl area. If this isn't working for you then simply delete them manually from /usr/share/ssl and apache.conf references to start with.

4. frwjd

frwjd Member

Hi jayh38 thanks for the reply.

I understand delete them manually from /usr/share/ssl but not and apache.conf references to start with. and would be very grateful if you could elaborate - thanks anyway I will give it a go.

cheers

5. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

Can't you just paste the new one into the WHM -> SSL/TLS -> "Install a SSL Certificate and Setup the Domain" section and overwrite it that way? That's what I did recently, although it was an upgrade from Geotrust so might be handled differently.

Trev

6. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

The problem he seems to have is the old certificate is getting in the way of the new certificate.

Just to confirm, do you see your old certificate in whm > ssl/tls > Manage SSL Hosts ?
    If so, delete the related certificates and go from there if you can.

7. frwjd

frwjd Member

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies and sorry for my ate reply - had to go away on a short notice business trip.

In CP/SSL Manager/Certificates(CRT)
    I can see my cert but when I try to delete it I get the following message
    SSL Certificate
    Certificate Deleted
    The Certificate for www.mydomain has been deleted.
    The Certificate for mydomain cannot be fully deleted, because it is installed in the system ssl directory!

When I upload my new cert the old one seems to get in the way and it doesn't work.

I have deleted two certs in File Manager/ssl but they still appear in SSL Manager.

I would like to follow your advice and delete them manually from /usr/share/ssl and apache.conf but can't see these files - can I get acess to them in File Manager?

Sorry - all this is a little beyond me but with your help I will fix it and know next time!

many thanks

8. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

You would need to ask your host for assistance if you don't have root access.

9. frwjd

frwjd Member

thanks jayh38 - if only he would respond to my emails! Time for a new host methinks.

cheers