Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED Replacing website in public html issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRice, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JRice

JRice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hello, I recently replaced an older website with a new one I built on a subdomain. After creating a backup, I deleted the files in the public_html folder and moved all of the new websites files to public_html. The site is now returning a 404 error, not sure how to proceed.

Tried to just restore backup and start from scratch but backup is not uploading, its been a few hours with no progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know the specific steps you took when moving the contents to the public_html directory? Also, do you see a specific error message when viewing the "Errors" option in cPanel?

Thank you.

3. JRice

JRice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Sure, The website was built on a subdomain it was working great, got the a okay to migrate the new site. Created a backup in cpanel, then deleted files in the public_html, moved all of the files in the subdomain to public_html, checked website and it returns 404 error. Asked for advice and was told to restore the files they were previously and we would perform a redirect.

I ended up deleting the content of the original public_html (which was stupid on my part, I should have moved to a different folder)

So upon realizing the situation I was in, I tried to restore a full-backup, after choosing the backup I created this morning I am in the Backup upload page for the past 4 hours with no progress registering.

Checked errors page, there are 0 errors.

4. JRice

JRice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    update:

error log

[Wed Sep 27 13:52:07 2017] [error] [client 184.74.47.106] File does not exist: /home/emcfinte/public_html/new

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you elaborate on how you moved the contents of the subdomain's document root to the public_html directory? Have you reported the issue to your reseller hosting provider so they can take a closer look at the backup status?

Thank you.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If you are using a script such as WordPress, check to ensure the default URL or directory is updated in the configuration file associated with the script (this will vary depending on the script you use).

Thank you.

7. JRice

JRice Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Got it, the previous webmaster had performed a redirect which was giving me my problem!

cPanelMichael likes this.