The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reply from regarding their server load

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PageUp, Jul 1, 2004.

1. PageUp

PageUp Registered

Jun 30, 2004
    I've been observing server load in cPanel on my account and it's usually around 12. Red light is flashin, of course. When I've contacted them about this (optimal load is below 2, right?) they replied:

Do you think that it could be true that the reading in cPanel is inaccurate? Besides server load, there are other yellow and red lights flasing quite often. A few minutes ago, Apache was down but now it's back up.
  2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well, I can tell you that we never (or at leasst very rarely) have any "red lights". Also that number in the Control Panel is exactly what uptime on the server says. So, they are the same numbers. NO server should run that high, if it does it is overloaded. For example if it is a quad cpu server, a load average of 4.00 is the highest it should be for any long length of time. If it goes over for short periods that is fine.

Remember an oft-cited 'guideline' for optimum server performance is the following Server Load Averages:

For 1 CPU: less than 1.00 is considered 'optimal'.
    For 2 CPUs: less than 2.00 is considered 'optimal'.

BUT 'Spikes' in Server Load is normal. Consistently elevated Server Load Averages (above the 'optimal' guidelines) should be looked into.