The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reporting abuse proceedure?

Discussion in 'Security' started by dev.null, May 6, 2012.

1. dev.null

dev.null Well-Known Member

Two questions:

1. What's the standard procedure for reporting abuse, i.e. another IP just hammering your box? I can get the abuse email (usually) from a whois on the IP - is there a better way? After getting the correct abuse email, what should typically be contained in the email?

2. Is there any way to get cphulk to automatically fire off abuse emails when an IP repeatedly triggers it?

Thanks!

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    1) There is none that I'm aware of, other than good security. Sure, you can (maybe) track down an email, maybe even a phone number and contact the person in charge of that IP, but then what? Is it the person that can help, or the person hammering your box?

Good security can go a long way, probably more effective than dropping someone an email to complain about a bad user.

2) Not that I'm aware of, no.

3. jerrybell

jerrybell Well-Known Member

You can configure CSF to send you a pre-written abuse letter to send to the abuse contact of the offending netblock. It does require you to take the action of actually looking up the abuse contact and sending the email.

I'll also say that I work in the infosec area of a very large company that has nothing to do with hosting and we take such abuse complaints extremely seriously - investigating and acting on each one. Now, certainly I think we're probably the exception and not the rule, but it may be worth the time/effort to do.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can also report the IP to the various places that do IP blocks and blacklisting. I think rather than reporting to the one who owns the IP, reporting the IP to get it blacklisted by everyone, including the places that do browser blocking, can go a long way. You'll find some places block the entire C-block if they receive enough reports, which makes the IP owner very anxious to get the issue sorted far faster.