The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

repquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/simfs: No such file or directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moses Moore, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    (there's already a thread for this, but it's 2 years old so I can't post to it, and there was no answer)

Getting these messages from multiple servers every night:

Code:
    repquota: Cannot stat() mounted device /dev/simfs: No such file or directory
    I've already run /scripts/fixquotas -- that isn't the problem. I know why this is happening: cPanel is installed in a virtual machine, where /tmp is a ramdisk provided by the host machine:

Code:
    # mount  # or cat /etc/mtab
    /dev/vzfs on / type reiserfs (rw,usrquota,grpquota)
    /dev/simfs on /tmp type simfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,usrquota,grpquota)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
    none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)

I've turned off quota alerts in WHM/cPanel Tweak Settings, but it seems I can't turn off quota-checking, so I'm still getting those superfluous warning messages sent to my pager in the middle of the night, waking me up.

I can't change the mount options for /dev/simfs aka /tmp , because my servers are VMs. So how do I get cPanel to stop checking devices they can't check, or stop checking for quotas at all? It's tempting to replace /sbin/quotacheck with a null "exit(0)" program, since I don't use quotas at all (all I need is overall disk use alerts).

2. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I meant to say "/usr/sbin/repquota" not "/sbin/quotacheck".
    But I can't edit my message to fix it because of this message from the forum software:

"Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator."

... which is very weird because I don't see any foul language nor advertisements in the original message.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You could adjust the contact priority for "Disk Usage Warnings" via "WHM Home » Server Contacts » Contact Manager" if you are unable to mount that directory without quotas.

Thank you.

4. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    But then I won't get alerts when an account on a genuine filesystem exceeds its quota.
    That's like asking "how can I get this car to stop making a honking noise when I don't touch the steering wheel" and getting the reply "stop using the car."

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I was under the impression you did not use quotas at all on this system based on the following quote:

If you want to address the issue, the solution is to disable quotas on the /tmp partition. You mentioned that you can't modify the mount options for /tmp because it's a VPS. Could you elaborate on that? What in particular is preventing you from modifying the mount options?

Thank you.

6. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't use quotas today. I may need to use quotas tomorrow. cPanel seems to think quotas are important else they wouldn't have this out-of-the-box setting of checking quotas on every machine.

I assume the VPS's host machine won't let me modify mount options.

Code:
    root@far:~# grep ' /tmp' /proc/mounts
    /dev/simfs /tmp simfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

root@far:~# mount -o remount -o rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime /tmp
    mount("/dev/simfs", "/tmp", 0xb9133160, MS_NOSUID|MS_NODEV|MS_NOEXEC|MS_REMOUNT|MS_RELATIME, "usrquota,grpquota") = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
    mount: permission denied

I don't have a name for what's preventing me; the mount() syscall fails with EPERM, so I assume the syscall is passed up to the VPS's host organism, which denies the VPS's request.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest reporting this issue to your VPS hosting provider so they can investigate and make any necessary changes from the VPS hardware node.

Thank you.

8. Moses Moore

Moses Moore Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I went to the hosting company before I came here. They said "this is a software problem, take it up with the software vendor, or stop using the software that is causing the superfluous error."

So I guess I will officially give up on this.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You may want to contact them again and simply ask if it's possible to change the mount options on /dev/simfs instead of stating the issue that it's causing with cPanel/WHM.

Thank you.