The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller account creation and capabilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariskhan, Jun 22, 2006.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Hello,

1) Why can't we create reseller accounts, which don't map to any domain(s)? (Just a master reseller account owner of all its sub accounts)

2) Does cpanel plan on adding this feature to whm/cpanel in the future?

3) Is it possible to allow reseller accounts to manage quota for their sub accounts without compromising the rest of the system? (Retracted)

4) Is the reseller account capable of allocating, space/quota (disk space) for sub accounts if the quota allocated to it! runs out? For e.g., I assign 500 MB to a reseller account, but the sub-accounts for this reseller account require over 2 GB of space;

i) What would happen in this scenario?
    ii) What options do I have for this situation?

Please note: (Q4 revised in later post)

#1 hariskhan, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  2. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For questions one (1) and two (2), submit a feature request via cPanel's BugZilla site. I've customized the following link so its already set as an enhancement (i.e. Feature Request):
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/enter_bug.cgi?product=cPanel%20%2F%20WebHost%20Manager&bug_severity=enhancement

For questions three (3) and four (4), I encourage you to test it on your own server if one is available to you.

3. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can do that now, just create an account with a domain like "resellername.local". The domain doesn't exist, but that won't bother WHM at all! In other words, the domain allocated to an account in WHM doesn't have to exist yet, and if you choose something like .local you can be sure it won't be created in the future.

It looks to me like you haven't used the WHM reseller system much because that is exactly what it does provide - a reseller can manage their account (and subaccount) quotas without resource to root or other system admins.

As suggested, play around a little, but as far as I'm aware they can manage their account but not allocate further blocks. That is, they'd have to reduce the allocation to one customer to increase the allocation for another - exactly what you want. However, and this may be what you want, if you put a check mark in the "overselling allowed" checkbox they'll be able to allocate more space than their total but not use more than their total - I'm not sure how that's accounted for internally -- probably fairly loosely I'd think!

4. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

My badly put Qs

Hello,

I'm sorry for posting vague questions to the community. I want to retract Q3. Q1 and 2 are same. Q4 needs to be revised to the following;

Our problems are with the 'way' quota limits are normally implemented;

a) Can WHM implement soft quotas? (maybe not implement hard quotas?) (For both, accounts owned by root and resellers)

Above Q detail) How can we, with WHM/cpanel implement a quota system, such that bandwidth and disk usage only! get reported, such that customer accounts don't get suspended on overages? (For both, accounts owned by root and resellers)

c) When I allow reseller customers to modify bandwidth limits, WHM (currently) allows them to assign any bandwidth limit for accounts. Even an ammount which surpasses their reseller account limits. I hope this feature is completed soon.

#4 hariskhan, Aug 7, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2006