The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller Accounts and Feature Manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SupermanInNY, Sep 10, 2004.

1. SupermanInNY

SupermanInNY Well-Known Member

I deliberatly do not give all the features to all my regular accounts.
    There various reasons why not:

1. Leech Protect - I love it when my users use up all their bandwidth. I make money of this! Then they are going to order larger packages.

2. Interchange - not enabled on my server, If I leave this option enabled and selected I get harrassed by my clients about "why doesn't it work". Why do I need this headache?

3. I don't want to overcrowd the control panel to novice users who simply get lost with all the icons.

4. If you don't have AddOn option available, why have that ICON? I don't allow my reseller to sell Addon or Parked domains. But if they leave that on for the user to see, he gets confused or angry.

All these are valid reasons for me to NOT allow all the features in the Feature Manager.
    That is why I also created Features Lists.

Why is it then, that when I create a Reseller's account, I can't pick and choose what the reseller has on his list?

When logged in as a reseller, I can choose all the root's features lists.
    This should be changed just like the Package List is done.
    You can't see it if the ROOT doens't give you access to it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Has anyone else been able to override this option?

-Alon.

2. yaax

yaax Well-Known Member

I also have this problem now.
    I want to disable backup feature for all clients on server and want to prevent resellers as well to enable this feature. But they still have possibility to enable it by creation of feature list.

I must disable this feature completely, since it is bugged and caused our server crash few times.
    May be in the future cpanel versions when they will fix client backup (I am not speaking about root level backup - is is working very good), I will decide to enable it, but for this moment I want to disable it completely.

How can I do this now? :confused:

3. rfrench10

rfrench10 Well-Known Member

I believe if you log in a reseller's cPanel using the root or superuser account you WILL see all the options the root has. Try logging into a reseller account with only that reseller's credentials. You'll probably want to create a test reseller account for this test.

4. yaax

yaax Well-Known Member

The problem is now, that each reseller without any root, can enable to himslef ALL features, and there is no way to prevent him from doing this.

5. rfrench10

rfrench10 Well-Known Member

Is the reseller the 'owner' of his reseller account or is the server root the owner of the account? Just a thought... If, when you create the reseller account you don't make the new reseller the owner of that account (you remain that account owner), will the same scenario occur?

In my case, I am the owner of my reseller's accounts and they, in turn are the owners of their clients account. I don't have the same problem as you describe at all.

Just a thought.

6. yaax

yaax Well-Known Member

I must make my resellers own of their main account, they need this and they request this option.

7. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should investigate using the www.rvskin.com software. It is a cpanel theme that is VERY powerful and allows you to choose what features you want your clients to "see" on a per domain or per package basis.

You can "hide" icons that you don't wish them to see, or you can instead point them to an "upsell" page where they can order the service, etc...

Very nice cpanel theme... much more then a theme, actually.

:)

8. yaax

yaax Well-Known Member

This must be core CPanel feature, why would I go and spend money for some 3rd party product, which I am actually not need, except of some feature.

CPanel must do this for all their default skins, like X skin and all WHM skins.

9. yaax

yaax Well-Known Member

Ok, I am sorry, I think I found solution.
    I just did not read carefully cpanel instructions... however the may do it more clear to users....

In the feature manager I see next instructions:

So when I disabled backup feature in disabled feature list , it is really became unaccessible for all resellers.

10. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

Reseller Accounts and the Feature Manager

The 'root default' and the 'root disabled' selections are available, in a drop box, to a reseller when creating a package in their WHM. They should not be and so this is where the problem lies.

As you say, if this could be treated in the same way as the displaying of packages ie. only those created by the reseller are displayed to that reseller and no one else, then all would be fine.

The 'reseller_default' and 'reseller_disabled' feature sets could be controlled by root. At the moment to disable features using the root 'disabled' also effects everyone, which may not be disirable (root included). This, as it stands now, is the only way to ensure resellers (and everyone else) can't use a particular feature.

Example:
    1. As root and my root owned clients (trusted) I would like to give 'Addon Cgi Scripts' feature.

2. I don't want my resellers to have 'Addon Cgi Scripts' feature.

3. I disable this in a feature set for my resellers called 'reseller_feature'.

4. When the reseller creates a package 'reseller_Gold' the root 'default' and the 'reseller_feature' selections in the drop box are available to him/her.
    (The root 'default' set contains the 'Addon Cgi Scripts' but the 'reseller_feature' does not).

5. So the reseller selects the root 'default' feature set and has 'Addon Cgi Scripts' access in his 'reseller_gold' package.

6. I use root 'disabled' to disable this 'Addon Cgi Scripts' so it is now unavailble in 'reseller_feature' and the root 'default' feature sets (the only way I can see to not give the 'Addon Cgi Scripts' to the reseller).
    (No no one can use 'Addon Cgi Scripts' at all now even my trusted root clients).

This is how I see this Feature Manager configuration.

Any one find a way to solve this issue please?