The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller acct setups and ModernBill

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Esr Tek, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

Anyone found a good method to get Modernbill and setting up Reseller accounts correctly??

I have it now to create a normal package, then I go into WHM and manually set reseller account.
    Meanwhile user gets a setup email w/ incorrect info.
    I have too send a second and explain why the nameservers are different and IP's :(

I would real like to be able to set MB to setup the reseller permissions and name servers, but don't think that's possible yet.

From MB they say the
    I have no clue on this, any help would be great and I don't expect it free if complicated ;)

2. Robert_

Robert_ Well-Known Member

I think you should probably create a second vortech sign up form for resellers. That way you can setup seperate emails to send out.

That is what I am going to be doing in a bit.

Are you giving your resellers static ip's for there nameservers?

3. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

Yeah I give 2 IP's.

a second vortech I may do, but I rather not :(

I tired to remove the template in signup of package, so hopefully I can set the reseller status and then in cleint admin manually send out info (I just don't know if it will see the new Ip etc etc)

4. Robert_

Im pretty sure you can map the emails to a specific package.

About the IP's someone showed me that you can register multiple nameservers with the same ip's

ie

Ip's for use as virtual nameservers.

Reseller1 can go to there registar and register these ip's as there nameservers.

Reseller2 can do the same thing

and so on

this would take care of you IP thing and you wouldnt have to use a lot of ip's and the resellers still get the annonimity they want.

The only way that it would be visible is if some one was to do a ns lookup. not a whois!

5. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

HEy man great.. I was kinda told about letting all clients use the defualt IP of whm to, but wasnt explained well. So I didn't understand fully how to do it.

Any better ways to save IP's and etc are good..

The only way I know now is that each client get a "main IP"
    shared w WHM/NS main site IP, then all thier clients get put on main server IP.

I went ahead and got 20 xtra IP's for now.

Any better ways to setup the clients in WHM I am all for.

Can you explain your idea more :)

As for the clients RDNS, my network support stated to send in email and they can do RDNS for each my reseller clients (so it dont trace back to me)

6. Robert_

Here is the thread where I asked this

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4478

dgbaker showed me that he was using same ip for two tld's

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=ns2.virtual-hosting.com&type=NS

ca & com

I dont know what probelms might be encountered with setting up resellers with shared ip's but I have set aside two ip's to test with. I am going to setup a few of my domains as resellers to test.

I also setup a second vortech order form that way it creates the reseller package automatically in an hour or so. I still will need to add the reseller to the resller center.

As for the rdns I would just use a couple of ip's not your primary ip's.

7. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

Well I am unsure I want to risk puttin 2 different resellers on same IP's for shared nameservers.

I couldn't imagine the problems w a IP lookup comin back to 2 different host(s).

As for RDNS, I had this done for my main IP (was told too).
    But was also gonna do it for each main IP for resellers.

This was suggested to stop ppl from tracin my resellers to my server names.

As for the 2nd vortech, did you also create a new email template?
    How do you get it to assign IP's? I have set packages in WHM up to assign IP's.

However it seemed to pull from last available IP, when I tried to create nameservers it gave ns1 a differnent IP from account :(

What am I missing on, you make it sound like cake work

8. Robert_

lol cake work. Do you mean cake walk. Anyway, its not always easy but so far so good.

I havent created the email templates for my reseller accounts yet but all I will have to do is create them and then go to the reseller package and assign the emails.

As for the having the reseller email send the ip addresses pulled from the ip pool I dont know of a way to automate this. You still have to manually setup the reseller anyway.

Hopefully modernbill will make this possible in the future.

9. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

This is the way I go about it and like you, always looking for something a bit easier ;)

I have 3 different reseller accounts that are mapped as R1, R2, and R3. They are extremely limiting accounts such as 1MB of space and 5MB bandwidth but each with their own ip. In the modernbill package setup, I don't map a welcome email to any of the reseller acounts and only have the vortech signup email sent automatically. So, when the actual account is created via the CPanel API, no email is sent and then I'm free to go into WHM and designate them as a reseller and assign the alloted resources. Then, I go to the client screen within modernbill and choose to send a premade email(have 3 different ones for each reseller) which is able to get all of the necessary variables from the WHM reseller account(inlcuding the ip that the account was set up with) except for the nameservers I set up for them....I enter those manually into the email before it is sent.

My reseller accounts are based on resource useage and not reselling already existing plans so that is the reason I make the initial reseller plans so small. In the welcome email, it basically explains that their own account is within their allotted space and that they should create a plan and/or upgrade themselves as one of the first things to do. It's not even close to being as streamlined as setting up regular accounts but works...always looking for a better way :)

10. Esr Tek

Esr Tek Active Member

I have mine setup same way now...

Great to hear my setup will work the way i thought it would..

A trick I did for email was:
    I added this part for nameserver:

NAMESERVER(s) INFORMATION:
    =======================
    NS1.%%AD_DOMAIN%% | %%AD_IP%%
    NS2.%%AD_DOMAIN%% | %%AD_IP%%

I will have to manually edit the ns2 IP but thats no biggie ;)