The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller certificate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by domaineplus, Jan 27, 2009.

1. domaineplus

domaineplus Registered

Hi!

I have searched and read a lot of threads about resellers, nameservers, IPs and certificates but have not found the answer I was looking for yet. Maybe the question was not asked correctly before so someone with the knowledge to answer it was able to so I'll try to ask the question clearly...

I have a brand new CPanel 11 server. I have set up the hostname to (example) ns1.hostingcompany.com. I have generated a CSR and Key with CPanel for this host and purchased an SSL certificate so that I (and my customers) can access CPanel and WHM securely by typing https://ns1.hostingcompany.com:2087/ or 2083...

Now here is the fun part : I want to add a new reseller and want him to be completely white labeled. The reseller gives me his domain name he want to use, let's say reseller.com so now I get a new IP address and generate a new CSR, Key and buy a new certificate delivered for ns1.reseller.com so that his customers can access the main server's CPanel and WHM by typing securely https://ns1.reseller.com:2087/ or 2083 without ever knowing that they are actually on hostingcompany.com's server... His customers will also need to enter his nameservers in their domain name so named has to respond to his IP too.

In other words, I want to have two different SSL certificates on two different IPs, both resolving to the same CPanel/WHM. It is really important that by typing any of the two addresses while using https, there are no SSL errors, exceptions or warnings. It must also NOT use shared IPs.

So the questions are : Is it possible to do this with CPanel/WHM 11? And if so, what are all the steps to achieve this (assuming that the part described in the second paragraph about the main SSL certificate is already done and working fine)?

I hope (and I am sure I am not the only one) that there is a way to do this.

Thanks already! :)

#1 domaineplus, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Look at WHM >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> Redirection and see if you have Hostname name, SSL Certificate or Origin Domain name checked.

If you really wanted Whitelabel you should register a domain, protects its privacy and use a hostname from that newly registered domain, otherwise anyone can pull the headers from an email and see your hostname and trace it back to your company.

3. domaineplus

domaineplus Registered

First off, thanks for your reply and time. For the whitelabel part, I know that it's possible to retrieve infos here and there to finally get the name of the company who owns the server, even further, if you whois the IP address of the server, you will get infos from ARIN saying that the IPs are owned by company XXX...

The reason why we want to do it this way is that we do not offer cheap hosting and we will include an SSL certificate issued to the domain name of the reseller in the reseller plan and we want them to be just like they have their own company and server. And since 99% of people on the internet don't bother or don't know how to look further (headers, whois on IP, etc.), we decided that this was not an issue.

For the CPanel part, this is what I currently have in the "Redirection" section:

- Always redirect to SSL... Checked
    - When visiting CPanel without SSL... Origin Domain Name
    - When visiting CPanel with SSL... SSL Certificate Name
    - URL upon logout... Empty

But in fact, what I really need to know is if there is a way to enable two hostnames in apache (ServerName and ServerAlias) by using WHM/CPanel interface since the httpd.conf file is auto-generated by WHM/CPanel so if I configure it manually, I loose the configuration later on... The two hostnames would use their own IP and SSL Cert...

Thanks again!