The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller client account restrictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davidmorr, Apr 26, 2014.

1. davidmorr

davidmorr Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This is probably documented somewhere, but I cannot seem to find it. I want to know what restrictions/requirements there are for the clients of a reseller.

Let me explain....

I am setting up a new website for a nonprofit organisation that represents a number of clubs. Each of those clubs will have its own web site which I need to provide hosting for.

In the past, the club sites were addressed as subsites of the main one, eg,

http://domain.com/club1
    http://domain.com/club2

They only had FTP access to their directories and were therefore restricted largely to static HTML pages. These URLs were fairly widely distributed and I would like to keep them if possible.

It seems likely that I can set up a reseller account, and create a client account for each of the clubs. As I understand it, this will give them disk space, bandwidth and a Cpanel of their own to use in building their web site.

I have been told that for a reseller account, each of the client accounts has to have its own domain name.

Is this correct?

If so, it would be a real pain because I would then have to register 20+ new domains (and pay for them), and all the existing links would no longer work.

Is there any way to work around this?

Would it be possible to use subdomains of the main domain to satisfy this requirement, eg, http://club1.domain.com? This would not keep the URLs the same, but at least I would not have to buy 20 domains.

Thanks

2. davidmorr

davidmorr Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hmm, one possible problem with this would be e-mail. In principle there is no reason why I could not use e-mail addresses like:

president@club1.domain.com

It was always done like this in the early days of the Internet, where individual machines handled e-mail for different departments of an organisation.

But whether Cpanel/WHM can do it is another matter.....

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it's acceptable to create the new accounts as subdomains of the domain name that you own. Email accounts under the subdomains should function normally.

Thank you.