The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller dns zone template

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chris61, Feb 11, 2005.

1. chris61

chris61 Registered

Is it possible to set the default template that resellers get as templates when a reseller is created.
    i set the templates up in route how i wanted them, and when i create a domain through my root account everythiong is fine.

but when i create a reseller the new reseller account doesn't contain my modified zone templates (simple standard etc).

Obviously i can go and re edit the zone templates for each of my resellers to look the same as my root user templates, but this timely and the reseller templates must be being copied from somewhere.

and help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

2. xyzed

xyzed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was looking for the answer for this as well as I'd forgotten. I'll add the info here so I can find it next time I forget :)

Each time you modify the zone templates in WHM. cPanel will create a new tempalte file called username_simple, username_standard etc.

i.e. If you as root modify your DNS zone templates it will create new files called:
    root_simple
    root_standard
    root_standardvirtualftp

To avoid having to do this for every reseller in WHM edit these files with your favourite text editor in SSH as root i.e.:
    * Backup these prior to editing if your not 100% sure !!!
    nano /var/cpanel/zonetemplates/simple
    nano /var/cpanel/zonetemplates/standard
    nano /var/cpanel/zonetemplates/standardvirtualftp

From now on any new zones will use this format. If you delete any previous custom ones any new records added will use the defaults created above.

My only fear with this is that maybe one day cPanel may overwrite these with an update.

X.

#2 xyzed, Nov 17, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  3. z3usy

z3usy Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've got a weird bug regarding the reseller DNS Zone Templates...

I have a reseller that created his own zone templates. They mirror our standard hosting templates though they have specific entries for NS1 (A record), NS2 (A record), MX Entry, and the 'mail' subdomain (A record).

The odd thing is... when you create an account with this reseller the DNS Zone that is created with the account pulls the NS1 and NS2 records from the reseller's edited zone template, but the MX Entry and the 'mail' subdomain are using the standard %domain%.

In other words its like its reading the first half of the zone configuration from the reseller's modified template, and then the second half from the /var/cpanel/zonetemplates/standard file (ignoring the modified MX entry and 'mail' subdomain from the reseller's template).

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated... I'm at a loss here. The reseller's zone template shows up perfectly fine as /var/cpanel/zonetemplates/<resellername>_standard