The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller getting cheated out of Quota/Diskspace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markie, Oct 11, 2003.

1. markie

markie BANNED

We have a number of reseller who are really upset. They feel they are being cheated out of disk space and quota assigned to their reseller accounts. They constantly keep upgrade/downgrading accounts in the hope of modifying plans which incidently do not take effect if the reseller modifies quota and disk space. Instead, the quota and bandwidth totals remain the same after upgrading and downgrade accounts. What is the solution to this problem?

2) Resellers are complaining that the amount of resources assigned to their reseller plans dont add up and they want to know why. Our reseller still have 305megs of disk space and 10gb of bandwidth left in his account. When he tries to add his 12th site he gets this msg.

Sorry you cannot create this account because this would excceed your alloted bandwidth. You have exceeded your bandwidth allotment by 10 Megabytes!is error and i need this to work.

why?

3) If we remove the option to allow users to modify quota and bandwidth, as per the warning msg posted for those options, our Reseller loose the ability to increase/decrease their clients resources. Upgrading/downgrading a plan does not relieve a "bandwidth exceeded" site back into working status. So what the solution to this issue? How are users supposed to get their sites back into working order if these options are removed from the reseller use?

Can sombody answer these questions?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

try selecting "this reseller can oversell"

3. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

Try upgrading to the latest edge, this may solve it.

+-------------------------------------------------------------+
    Sat Oct 11 00:51:59 EDT 2003
    8.5.0-EDGE_14
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    fix a problem with allocating resources to resellers
    when upgrading accounts. whm would count the account it was processing
    against the whole list of accounts. If you were near your limit
    and tried to upgrade an account to a limit that was over your limit
    whm didn't take into account that the limit could be decreasing and
    would not allow it

4. techark

techark Well-Known Member

The problem is an old one. If you use the modify space or bandwidth feature the reseller is still charged with the amount that was in the original package.

So if a reseller set an account on a package of 200 meg and 5 gig and later changes the limit to 50 meg and 2.5 gig using the modify links he is still charged with 100 meg and 5 gig against his account and his customer is limited to 50 and 2.5 leaving the other 50 and 2.5 gig lost in space.

The only way to regain the lost space is to do an upgrade downgrade on every account he owns to set them up on current packages.
    It also works the other way a reseller can use every bit of resources you have on a server using those links and he will not get charged against his reseller account.
    He can set a package up with 2meg of space and 1 gig of transfer then up it using the modify links to 20 gig of space and 200 gig of transfer and still have free space in his reseller account to set up more accounts.

Cpanel has been asked to fix this but refuses for some reason.

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Do you have a ticket number on this issue ?

6. techark

No sir my ticket on the subject is over a year old and was closed without comment. I have long since lost the number.

But it has been kicked around in the forum many times and you have even commented on it a few times yourself.

For instance in this thread you commented a few times on it.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7196&highlight=Limit+bandwidth

Others have submitted tickets also on it.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10483&perpage=15&highlight=techark&pagenumber=2

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3363&highlight=reseller+limits

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread...age=15&highlight=reseller limits&pagenumber=1

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12813&highlight=Limit+bandwidth

But the bug or hole remains to this day.

7. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

Submit a ticket with you server IP, root password, and the name of a reseller this is happening to.
    It is 100 times easier for him to see a "broken" situation rather than trying to create one on his own.

8. markie

markie BANNED

It happens on everyones account and its not centralized to one person. TT do nothing. Thats if they bother to log into your box at all. This whole reseller system needs some major revision and fixups. Why cant they concentrate on this issue when its been written about so many times in the forums and fix it? Its not fixable? I dont believe it! If you created a monster then control him!

9. markie

markie BANNED

What for? We dont allow overselling. If my users still has disk space and bandwidth in his account why cant he create his 12th site?

10. markie

markie BANNED

Thank you, you are too kind!

#10 markie, Oct 13, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  11. markie

markie BANNED

Dear baileysemt

Just ignore thaphantom!

He is rude and out of line and needs to be ignored! I need some answers to my problems, not be bashed by some rude low life. For now, i will wait for an answer from somebody who knows what they are talking about. Hopefully somebody who knows will give us some answeres to my origional question.

12. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

Guys listen.
    cPanel is great about support. Currently everything I have requested (even feature requests) have been made. There is only one open support ticket, and I know Nick is woking on it (its a global problem, not just us).
    I have talked to Nick about this problem before. He has logged into one of my servers to try to see the error. I personally dont have this problem at the moment.
    Have you ever used IRC? well yesterday Nick set the topic to "odGawful: message bdraco about the reseller bandwidth allocation problem when you get back"
    Don't tell me nobody cares. I promise if you create a ticket, post the number here, it will at least get addressed. I acutally think the problem is more of a user error due to misunderstanding how things work, but Im not sure.
    Check this... has the reseller ever used "Quota Modification" to add or subtract to an account? Look at all the plans his users are on. Do they match up with what he has for actual quotas?
    I think it is measured by packages (not actual usage) which is good for the people who have different types of resellers (not just by resource). In the reseller ACL, you see that quota modification can supercede limitations, sometimes in a bad way.
    If he has quota modification, do this. Make a package with 1mb and add it. Then quota modify it to what it should be.

As for thaphantom, I dont blame him. Im tired of people bitching about problems when they wont even submit a ticket to get it fixed.

13. techark

I am not going to enter the debate about cpanel support sometimes it i great other times... As requested and to stop the bickering I have submitted a ticket.

But the point is this is an issue that has been around a while, it is not user error.
    Test it yourself.

Create a reseller account on your server give it 100 meg and 1 gig of space. Create a package of 50 meg and 500 meg. Then create another account to on that package. Make note of your space and bandwidth left on your reseller via the create an accont link. Then go to Quota modify and increase the space allowed to 10 gig of space then go to go to limit bandwidth and increase the bandwith on that resold account to 50 gig. .

Now click on the create an account link again and note your amount of space and bandwidth.

For instance:

I just did the test I describe above. This is after I created the account on the package.

Disk Space 100 Megabytes 50 (Allocated) 50
    Bandwidth 1000 Megabytes 500 (Allocated) 500

This is after I raised it limits to 10 gig for space and 100 gigs of transfer now note overselling is off on this account and I should be limited to 100 meg and 1 gig of transfer.

Resource Max Allowed Remaining
    Disk Space 100 Megabytes 10000 (Allocated) -9900
    Bandwidth 1000 Megabytes 500 (Allocated) 500

As you can see I gave the user 100 gigs of transfer but according to WHM I still have 500 megs of my 1000 to allocate.

User Domain Megabytes Gigabytes Bandwidth Limit (Meg)
    test1 thisisatest.com 0.000000 0.000000 100000.00
    Total 0.000000 0.000000

It does appear that the limits on space are working now when I checked a few months ago they were not but you can still use all the server if you want.

Nick I have submited a ticket on this.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 26232

14. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

This should resolve you issue

Wed Oct 15 22:11:30 EDT 2003
    8.5.3-EDGE_10
    calculate reseller bandwidth usage limits on actual used
    per account instead of the amount each plan should have
    since the bandwidth limit for the plan is not always the
    same as the bandwidth limit that user actually has

15. techark

Not going to say it does or does not because I do not use edge. But I can say that after I submitted a ticket one of the techs answered and told me to upgrade to ver 8.5 to fix the problem, which I did, and then tested it again. I was still able as a reseller with a limit on resources of 100 meg and 1000 meg with no oversell, to give a resold account 20 gig of space and 200 gig of transfer and still 500 megs of transfer left to sell according to WHM.

So it is far from fixed in that version.

16. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

This is the intended behavior. Not sure I agree, but its meant to be that way, I suppose.

In the reseller ACL, you have quota modification checked. Read the bold text beside it.

You need to disable that and tell them just to change plans. Pain, I know, but thats how it's designed.

17. rbmatt

rbmatt Well-Known Member

Correction.
    The design changed. heh.

Edge 13 and later does it how you want it:

Wed Oct 15 23:21:04 EDT 2003
    8.5.3-EDGE_13
    the quota modifcation tool now respects reseller resource limits

(Warning: This will allow circumvention of account package limits)

became

(Warning: This will allow circumvention of account package limits if you are
    not using resource limits)