The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reseller ip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by radhika, Mar 23, 2003.

1. radhika

radhika Active Member

How to provide ip for resellers?

1. First i have to create an account for his main site(resellerhost.com for example)? If so it should be on dedicated ip?

On which ip he creates his RESOLD accounts? On the dedicated ip that i gave him in the first step? Or i have to give him extra ip?

OR

2. Just i have to create his main account on one ip (not dedicated) and tell him to create resold accounts on it? In this case that ip will be shared by his main site and his resold accounts.

thanks.

2. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

1. First i have to create an account for his main site(resellerhost.com for example)? If so it should be on dedicated ip?

It's your choice. Reseller accounts can be set up with dedicated IPs or namebased using the servers main (shared) IP.

On which ip he creates his RESOLD accounts? On the dedicated ip that i gave him in the first step? Or i have to give him extra ip?

The accounts created in your resellers WHM will use the servers IP (shared) - unless they needed an IP for ssl or anonymous ftp and your reseller asked you to enable an IP for him to use when he created such an account.

2. Just i have to create his main account on one ip (not dedicated) and tell him to create resold accounts on it? In this case that ip will be shared by his main site and his resold accounts.

You can set reseller accounts up namebased - if you have a domain.com give it reseller privileges and assign ns1.domain.com/ns2.domain.com nameservers to it with dedicated IPs (remember to register the nameservers with their corresponding IPs at your registrar).

Then when you create a reseller account in WHM you can point this account to use these nameservers in 'edit reseller privileget' -(at the bottom). - Remember to edit the dns zone and add two a records as well - only needed for the reseller account - not necessary for accounts created with this reseller WHM.

I usually use these steps (only resellers set up namebased):

1. create account
    2. Go to reseller center
    - assign reseller privileges
    - edit reseller privileges - remember to add the nameservers at the bottom.
    3. Change ownership to its own
    4. Edit DNS zone - add two A records:
    ns1 14400 IN A <IP for ns1>
    ns2 14400 IN A <IP for ns2>

We have choosen a domain to use as anonymous nameservers and many smaller resellers are quite satisfied using them - saves some IPs :)

Hope that this helps.

John

3. radhika

radhika Active Member

EXCELLENT explanation John:)

Thank you very much.

4. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

You're welcome :)

John

5. c4host

c4host Well-Known Member

OK so what if I creat nameservers for my client ns3.whocares.com and ns4.

Say those are 65.125.234.162 and 163.

If I set the shaed ip in his reseller account then his resold account will be on this ip?

Thaks in advance

6. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

If you set him up with private nameservers

ns3.whocares 65.125.234.162
    ns4.whocares 65.125.234.163

then his main account will use these IPs but accounts created in his WHM will used the server (shared) IP.
    Accounts created in WHM always uses the server main IP unless you assign an IP to an account at account creation.

John

7. c4host

c4host Well-Known Member

Ok, but in the reseller are it allows you to cahnge the shaed Ip?

I thogh you cold change this to one of his nameservers.