Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Reseller: Moving customers to new provider?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doni49, Mar 19, 2007.

1. doni49

doni49 Well-Known Member

I'm currently using a shared hosting account for my web site. But I'm considering the possiblity of becoming a reseller. If I DO become a reseller and at some point in the future, I have problems with the hosting provider that I use, is it fairly simple to move all my customers' accounts to a new provider?

Thanks.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Overall things are simple to move with a few exceptions...

account file size, (keep packages reasonably sized)
    php / mysql versions, you should look into similar configurations if possible,
    server settings
    availability of administration

When you decide on a host, they should offer to move your accounts and be willing to setup what you need without question.

You may also consider a VPS under a managed environment. Although root access may not be suitable for you at this stage, I do stress "managed".

3. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

As Jayh38 said, they should be able to copy/move the accounts for you provided you are coming from a cPanel system.

Be sure you leave yourself enough time on the old server. This is so when you get the accounts copied/moved and you update your nameservers it gives you a few days for the DNS to propagate; so your sites see no downtime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...