The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller nameservers - IPs private or shared?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Kurieuo, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

I am wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of setting up reseller nameservers with two private dedicated IP addresses versus sharing two existing dedicated IPs?

For example, I am considering setting up ns1/ns2.resellerdomain with the same IP addresses as the main server nameservers.

From what I can tell, everything would work the same and there are no real disadvantages, and I get the advantages of not using up assigned dedicated IPs unnecessarily.

The only disadvantage I can see is with Reverse DNS (RDNS). For the resellers who for some reason desire this though (although I am not precisely sure of what benefit it gives??) they could be assign private IPs, but the majority would not.

Any comments from those who know would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thanks.

2. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

Since no one has yet responded here, for those interested in this question also, I came across a thread on WHT where someone created a more descriptive post asking the same thing.

To summarise, there is one major advantage to assigning reseller nameservers to same two IP addresses of the main server ones, one disadvantage, and one risk.

1) Advantage: saving on IP addresses used

2) Disadvantage: unique reverse DNS entries can not be setup for resellers, although they will be mapped to your own nameservers. As such anonymous nameservers would be best for rDNS purposes.

3) Risk: If a reseller is under DDOS attack then null-routing the IP address shared for all nameservers would mean everyone is affected.

For myself, given #3 I will probably give really big resellers their own dedicated IP.