The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller owning his own domain in whm.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by noimad1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. noimad1

noimad1 Well-Known Member

Ok, so I see that there is now a feature where resellers can own their own domain names.

This is a great option so that their main domain name now shows up when they list accounts.

Here is my problem with this. If this option is checked, the reseller can now change his own bandwidth and quotas by modifying that account. Is there something I'm missing?

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think so. ;)

You are probably getting confused between a package setup by the Reseller and a package (for the Reseller) setup by 'root'. A Reseller cannot exceed the quota setup for them by 'root'.

3. noimad1

Ok, I'll do a test. It may have been because the reseller set up the domain, then wished to change this new domain to his main reseller domain. Mabye since he set the package up to begin with, this is why he could edit it.

I guess everyone should just be aware of that.....I will test it out again though...

4. noimad1

Ok,

I did some tests.....The reseller can in fact change his own quota and space used. This is only if you have the little box checked that says "Make the new reseller own their own account."

I like this feature as my resellers can see their name on the list of domains. That's like the number one question my resellers ask....where is my main domain...I don't see it in the whm...

So the real question is, if they change that bandwidth/space allocation, does it actually change??? It appears to....?

5. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A Reseller cannot exceed the quota setup for them by 'root'.

They can change allocations for any Packages within their Reseller account. Again, you need to know the difference between a package setup by 'root' and a package setup by a Reseller.

You can test this by setting up a "dummy" Reseller account with 1MB of Web space & Data transfer -- this is done through your 'root' WHM > Reseller Center > Edit Privileges/Nameservers.

Limit Accounts that <reseller> can create by Resource Usage.

A) you will notice the Reseller account has no domains
    B) try to setup a domain with a package > 1 MB of Web space & Data transfer

6. noimad1

Just so we are on the same page....I'm not referring to "packages" in particular. I am talking about the "change quota" and "limit bandwith" usage buttons.

Now, on to what you were mentioning about limiting by resource.....Let's say I want to give the reseller 1GB of space.....5GB of bandwidth total......I set that up in the reseller center.

Now, I go into the user whm, and it won't let me change any quota or bandwith...not even to 5mb...says it is going over the limit.

So here is a question about that. By limiting that amount, does that mean the user can only "allocate" that much space between his accounts? Is this by "allocation" and not actual spac used?

So if he has 5 accounts and tries
    account 1 - 100mb
    account 2 - 100mb
    acount 3 - 100mb
    accoung 4 - 100mb
    account 5 - 200 mb

He wouldn't be able to set up the fifth account, unless he changed that to a 100mb?

7. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are correct that the 5th account would need be changed.

"I am talking about the "change quota" and "limit bandwith" usage buttons."

I'm not familiar with any 'buttons' like you mention, but what you refer to are both applicable to the "package" setup for the Reseller. You can also interchange the words "package" for "quotas", just to clarify.

A package has quotas and quotas are as stated within a package, although, quotas can be changed many different ways. The reason a Reseller cannot change quotas imposed by 'root' -- on their Reseller overall package -- is because they do not have the permission level to do so.

Same as an account owner cannot change the quotas (for their package) imposed upon them by their Reseller, they do not have the correct permission to do so.

8. ispro

ispro Well-Known Member

Another Problem with reseller's owned by root!

We have all our resellers' main accounts owned by root.
    It is needed by LPanel and allow us to avoid "reseller's change its own limits" problem.
    The resellers' main accounts has system packages with for example, 1gb/20Gb plus the same set to Limit Resource usage.

However there are another big concern.
    We've noticed that in Resellers Center total limits for client consists of Reseller's limit (1gb/20gb) PLUS Reseller's clients limits (which actually controlled by Resource Usage).

So, now reseller has almost DOUBLED space & traffic! 1gb/20gb for his own account PLUS 1gb/20gb for his clients' accounts!

I cannot to find if this a bug or feature, guess it is a bug...

Can anyone comment this?..

9. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

Are you stating it looks like the Resource limits show the "allocated" total plus the resellers "allotted" values?

If yes, I also have this problem
    I posted a bug today: http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1442

If not, it sounds close.. :)

10. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I realize that having 'root' as Owner of some accounts is a personal preference or maybe a Control Panel limitation, but my personal belief is that 'root' should not own any accounts. This is possible with WHM and makes things very easy, IMHO.

As for any Reseller having 'root' access, that is not something I would allow unless they are on the payroll.