The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller Packages Showing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Website Rob, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've got Packages that have been setup by one Reseller, showing as available packages to other Resellers? Not sure what the reference in &root& WHM & Add Package refers to: &Note: Packages added with the prefix '&username&_' (no quotes) can only be seen by &username&.&

As I dont' want to setup a new package everytime I setup a Reseller account, this has me boggled. A search for something like this returned 40+ pages of info -- I just searched for &Reseller& as I had no idea what someone else would call this problem. ;)

Anyone have experience with this?

2. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Package?

If one Reseller sets up 5 packages for themselves and another Reseller sets up 5 for theirs, both Resellers can see each others. If I add another Reseller, all three will be able to see each others.

This is using the Reseller WHM and using &Create New Account& for when they want to create an account of their own.

3. hostingc

hostingc Registered

reseller plans

Hello,

Is there anyway i can setup a reseller account without the new reseller seeing any of the other reseller hosting plans?

Iam i doing something wrong or is this how cpanel was made so everyone can see and use each others plans ????

Thanks!
    Tamer
    Hosting Creations
    www.hostingcreations.com

4. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

This is not a problem in WHM 5.3.0 - I believe that what you're experiencing happened in earlier versions of WHM - packages were disabled, by my host, in the WHM 5.2.0 I used when I started out as a reseller.

John

5. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    From doing searches at this Forum and reading various postings, it seems to be a trial each person must go through; regardless of what version is being used. ;)

It can be a problem, if a person does not follow the suggestion in WHM & Add Package:

&Note: Packages added with the prefix '&username&_' (no quotes) can only be seen by &username&.&

I don't know how others do it, but if a &Package& is not created for a Reseller using the described method, each Reseller will be able to see each others packages. This applies to when a Reseller is creating an &Account& or &Upgrading/Downgrading an Account&. I know because I've seen this in other Reseller WHM and on my own box. Which is why I had asked the question.

Trial & Error has shown me a common mis-conception; you first create Reseller Packages then assign them to your Reseller Clients, as they signup. This is not true. Confusing actually, if you were previously using a Reseller WHM as that is the way one sets up their Clients. Those &type& Clients only have access to Cpanel, not WHM, so there is no problem there.

When it comes to Reseller accounts, you set those up &on the fly& as the idea is there will be very few Resellers on a Server. One needs to remember that each Reseller package is treated as specific Package to that Reseller only (because their &username& is in the Package name) and use the angle bracket setup mentioned above.

This is what I have discovered and works just fine. Resellers now only see their own Packages. Another confusing aspect though, never create Accounts as &root& and instead, setup a dummy Package for yourself. Otherwise, we're right back to same problem as all Resellers will be able to see Packages created by &root&. This has nothing to with &Ownership& BTW.

Package = WHM and Cpanel
    Account = Cpanel only

That is the easy way to remember the difference between the two. If one always uses &username& when setting up both, one can separate them from each other.

A Reseller account requires,

creating a Package &on the fly& and specific to that Reseller
    ( &username&_Reseller1 for example )

-and then-

creating an Account using the exact same &username& as given in &their& Reseller package
    ( &username& )

-and then-

assigning them the Package created using their &username&
    ( &username&_Reseller1 )

So even if a person only has one Reseller Package and wants to setup 5 different Resellers, each Reseller Package is treated as individual and specific to each Reseller; because each uses a different &username&.

By using a different &username&, even for the same Reseller Package, one can create 5 individual and separate Reseller accounts -- with only the &username& being different, although, each Reseller could have the same options/privileges.

One can always make changes to a Reseller Package, within the &Reseller& section. So what is provided to a Reseller upon setup, doesn't really matter. Setting their account up properly (so Resellers don't see each others packages) is what is important -- to me, anyway.

I can see now, why no one has created a Tutorial for this. Until one gets their head wrapped around the intricacies of how to properly setup a Reseller account, it can seem a very convoluted method. Or, maybe it's just me. ;)

6. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to clear up any confusion, this whole thread has been about &root& creating Reseller packages. If one does not have &root& access to the Server and WHM, then all I've said above does not apply.