The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller Problems..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BLWS, Aug 9, 2002.

1. BLWS

BLWS Guest

I have a reseller on my network. Anyhow, I want to make it so it is virtually untracable back to me.

Now I think I have half done this.. here is an example..

That is what you get when you look up the DNS records.. now here is the problem..

See how it says:

That is the problem.. anyone out there know how I can stop that without crashing the server?
  2. techark

techark Well-Known Member

May 22, 2002
    Is that your

server name?

If so you will need to change the server name and then have Scott change your DNS reverse.
  3. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

May 23, 2002
    It's not reverse DNS

This IP address has no reverse DNS entry. Results of an nslookup on the IP shows, &** server can't find NXDOMAIN& -- ie, there is no reverse entry.

The reason you're showing the other server name is because you have multiple registered DNS servers pointing to one IP address - something which technically breaks RFC but is now being allowed by several registrars. Do a whois lookup on the IP address (from a shell) and you'll see the various registered names. You're seeing the first one because the others are all basically considered aliases to the first (see below).

How to fix this? Add more IP addresses on the server (if you don't have 'em already), and assign each reseller's name server to a unique IP address. In my case, I have a seperate server which serves as a master CPanel DNS server and each reseller has one unique IP address on that box to register with their NIC as an authoritative DNS server. And then they also get one IP on the box hosting their reseller accounts. This way they have two of their own unique IPs, on two seperate servers, and on two seperate networks... with no duplication with other resellers or with us.

- Jason

# whois

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
    with many different competing registrars. Go to
    for detailed information.

To single out one record, look it up with &xxx&, where xxx is one of the
    of the records displayed above. If the records are the same, look them up
    with &=xxx& to receive a full display for each record.

&&& Last update of whois database: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:45:45 EDT &&&

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and