The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller Resource Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jondolar, Apr 15, 2004.

1. jondolar

jondolar Well-Known Member

I am unable to get the "Overselling Allowed" feature to work on any reseller. My goal is the create a reseller plan that can only use xxx MB disk space and yy GB bandwidth. I have the following options set:

Limit Accounts that resell2 can create by Resource Usage is checked.
    Disk Space = 500
    Bandwidth = 10000
    Overselling = Checked for both.

If I log in as the reseller and try to upgrade an account to 600MB I get the warning:
    "Sorry you cannot create this account because you are out of disk space."

I have tried this with the following settings all checked:
    Account Modification
    Bandwidth Limiting Modification
    Quota Modification

I've tried this with them all unchecked as well.

I've seen numerous threads about this feature not working properly, some dating back many months ago. This still does not appear to be working.

I would think it should work in the following way:
    I assign a reseller 500MB. Reseller sells as many plans as he can at 100MB each (possibly 10) which amounts to 1GB. However, none of his users use more than 50MB so his usage is only at 500MB or less. This is called overselling, right?

It seems that the reseller can create a new account that would cause the account to go over it's Resource Usage. You just can't modify the user after the fact. It's a problem that a reseller can't upsell his clients when the need more space.

Should I open a ticket for this?

Thanks.

2. jondolar

jondolar Well-Known Member

Another test I tried. I created a package with 1GB disk space. I was able to create a new account using the template. My reseller now has allocated 1.5GB even though they only have used 1MB so far. This is overselling and it works great. However, I can't downgrade the account to 500MB. I get the error that I am out of disk space even though the downgrade is lower than the previous package.

So, you can oversell but you can't upgrade/downgrade or modify disk and/or bandwidth once you allocate more than your plan.

This is definitely not the way it is supposed to work.

3. Miss Jacky

Miss Jacky Well-Known Member

Up.

Interesting tests. Allowing overselling is (would be) a nice feature if it works correctly, I'm very interested if anyone else could reply here with info or anything.

4. HostIt

HostIt Well-Known Member

You just need to uncheck "Limit Accounts that resell2 can create by Resource Usage".

The "Overselling" feature should work the way you intend, but the above solution is the way people were doing it before this feature was added. It would seem like the way to go until the option is fixed... Just be sure to keep tabs on their usage :)

#4 HostIt, Apr 27, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2004