The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reseller under a reseller?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nibuha, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Nibuha

Nibuha Member

Hello,

I wanted to know how to make a reseller under a reseller account.

I know you can just give them Full rights (root) but is there a way to let them setup resellers with out them having root rights?

I am looking for a way just to give the the rights to add other resellers but still not see the info of the others on the server that are not under them.

Please let me know if this can be done or if it will be out in a new V of WHM.

Best regards

2. Nibuha

Nibuha Member

Can any one help me with this?

3. Apoc

Apoc Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This is not possible, it would be good if they would implement this though.

4. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

I remember that there is a script that can do your need. AFter search on google i found http://www.cpanelsubs.com

Take a look maybe this is waht you need. I'm not using it so i can't tell you more about this.

5. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

Personally I find that anyone who lets "resellers" resell. Is crazy... Even if it's 10-25 domains they are allowed to sell. Your server would get overloaded too fast. It's a bad idea, personally.

6. Nibuha

Nibuha Member

Well its just like having more then one person with root, people split up servers all the time. I need it becasue the people i give it to do not need nor want to have everything becasue they do not know everything about WHM and running a server, we take care of that but want them to still be like a reseller (having max on space and bandwidth) but can make resellers under them.

O and thanks for the link isputra i will look into it. :)

7. rhodesy

rhodesy Well-Known Member

I can give you this functionality in a script for $100 via paypal.

8. webits

webits Well-Known Member

Now that what i call making money you get 100 ppl $10000 :P

9. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

That's the only way to make money from scripts.

I have my scripts club offering free scripts, with voluntary donations. When I first started it, I got a few donations, including one nice one, but have had no donations for the last 2 months even though the scripts have been getting downloaded at least a few per day.

I'm not complaining, but I am thinking about making my scripts available to members only.

10. webits

webits Well-Known Member

Open Source, is nice but people have to pay a donation so you can make some $.... It's bandwidth costing you and your time design a such a script. Why, not charge a subscriptiing fee like a montly fee having access to loads of scripts. . .

11. PWSowner

If I decide to make it members only, monthly might be the way to go. Current members would be exempt from the monthly fee.

To the original question:
    One drawback to letting resellers have resellers is loss of control over how many accounts go on the server. Any hosting company that cares about quality will not overload the server, and that can only be done if the server owner is the one who controls the number of accounts. You could limit the resellers space, bandwidth, and number of accounts, but even so, if a reseller wants resellers, it's better to get their own server. You could even offer managed servers for resellers who are interested.

12. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was just thinking the same, especially with some of the really cheap deals you can get for servers. The one issue though is that a lot do not charge their resellers nearly enough money for what they do and what they get.

13. rhodesy

In my script you can optionally set how many accounts in total can be created by an 'ultimate' reseller. So that you have complete control.

14. PWSowner

If you could be certain of the total number of accounts and the total space and bandwidth all the way down the line, it could be a good idea.

15. Nibuha

Nibuha Member

Do you have a demo of the script? sounds good.

I do not think i would have a huge problem, i work with the people on a one on one system so i know the people ... now of them are going to run out and host a 100 sites (they are small hosting companies lol). and the big clients i have would just run on a server with one other person and so on.

The servers i wanted to do it on are dual Xeon so it can take a nice bit of hosting ...

O and with the script dose it stop them from seeing the other accounts? becasue i wanted to get away from root rights. I wanted to put a few "ultimate reseller" or what ever you called it :) so its just like a sheard server but they can't mess stuff up but still can have the resellers they want. (The do not need nor want a server all to them self and would not want to pay for it)

Thanks for all the help people :)

O and on a different topic are any of you good with OScomm design? i am looking for getting some work done on freelance

#15 Nibuha, Sep 13, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  16. rhodesy

THe Ultimate reseller script is currently in the middle of a complete web host management script (WHM) a bit like Whm AutoPilot, but so much better!. I will take it out of the overall script and make it independant. However, when I do have a demo, it will be ebcoded because I don't have a spare server to test it on.

Whm-Aio.com for info on the Web host management script - the site's not completed.

17. TAK

TAK Well-Known Member

If your looking for a free option, look at whmsubs.com or http://www.webstyleopen.com/ (same site)

The developer from there thinsk that the people from cpanelsubs just ripped off his open source software, encoded it and is now selling it for $. (Read the bottom of the page at the site)

18. rhodesy

I wish I had know about that script a couple of months ago, It took me a fair while to work everything out. However, mine is a lot simpler. The hardest thing is to do the bandwidth and disk space calculations.

19. Nibuha

Nibuha Member

What is your sites URL? see what your working on and your system :)

20. isputra

isputra Well-Known Member

Who already install this WHMSubs ?
    I want to know because the software still on Experimental so not wise to setup it on production server.