Reseller Web Application with domain pointing

ayanghosh

Registered
Nov 13, 2020
Kolkata
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have not found any exact match for my query so creating this new thread. I am trying to build an application which is going to be work in the following way:
1. seller come to the example.com.
2. Initially they run the applicaiton as seller1.example.com
3. seller buy a domain say seller.com
4. they need to point our cname to their domain panel
5. then they can run the seller portal with seller.com url

Now the queries or concern are as follows:
1. If we dont add the domain which is created by user in my hosting as add on domain will it work?
2. There can be 1000 of user is it convenient add such huge number of add on domain?
3. There are several domain providers. Some provide facility to point NS record, some provide facility to point IP/A record how this can be manage via cpanel APIs.

Any suggestion or pointers will help us a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there!

Are you planning to create all the accounts that get setup by these sellers as addon domains? If that is the case, here are the best answers I currently have with those details:

1 - You would need to create the addon domain in order for that to be setup and functioning with a document root for the site
2 - It's probably not the most ideal situation, but there is no limit to the number of addon domains you can create. I would say the only limit is the hardware of your server, ensuring that services like Apache restart quickly and your machine is able to handle the number of websites being served.
3 - There are a number of cPanel API tools to create and edit DNS zones, which can be found here:

If you have any specific questions about any of these items, just ask!

ayanghosh

Registered
Nov 13, 2020
Kolkata
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey there!

Are you planning to create all the accounts that get setup by these sellers as addon domains? If that is the case, here are the best answers I currently have with those details:

1 - You would need to create the addon domain in order for that to be setup and functioning with a document root for the site
2 - It's probably not the most ideal situation, but there is no limit to the number of addon domains you can create. I would say the only limit is the hardware of your server, ensuring that services like Apache restart quickly and your machine is able to handle the number of websites being served.
3 - There are a number of cPanel API tools to create and edit DNS zones, which can be found here:

If you have any specific questions about any of these items, just ask!
Thanks for your response. I will check the the link you sent. Actually the requirement is to build a similar application like Wix. Can you please recommend how that can be manage or build with cpanel API or feature. It will be great if there any alternative other than adding add-on domain because that will be more easier to manage. But the question is if we dont have the addon then how the domain will point to our hosting.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is there a reason you need to use addon domains? If I were doing this type of work I would just give each account a unique cPanel account.

There would definitely need to be some programming work done behind the scenes in order to setup an area where clients can register the domain and get a hosting account created. This type of system would need to utilize several of our APIs, so I can't provide a real-world example. It would be best to work with an admin that is experienced with the API tools to design a system like this.