The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers able to change their own package

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hostdango, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Hostdango

Hostdango Member

Am I missing something? I have a reseller who has changed his OWN reseller account to one of his own packages. I'm wondering if there's a way to prevent resellers from changing the package of their own reseller account. I've looked around on the forums here a bit and Googled around a bit as well as dug around in the Reseller Center and haven't come across anything that jumps out and says, "it's me! click ME!"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

In order to prevent a reseller from changing the package for it's own account, you need to modify the account so it's owned by "root". You can do this using the following option:

"WHM >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account"

Is there a specific reason you do not want a reseller modifying it's own package? The limits imposed using "WHM >> Resellers >> Edit reseller privileges & nameservers" would still be enforced.

Thank you.

3. Hostdango

Hostdango Member

Hey Michael, thanks for replying!

The reason is because the reseller is buying X disk space, X bandwidth and X features. I'd just prefer that their account (and accounts created / sold under their reseller brand and account) stay limited to what they've been sold rather than assigning their own resources to themselves.

Does this make sense or am I misunderstanding something here?

Thanks again.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use the following option in Web Host Manager to control that:

"WHM >> Resellers >> Edit reseller privileges & nameservers"

This is documented at:

Edit Privileges/Nameservers

Thank you.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The ACLs granted to a reseller are applicable to any account the reseller owns. If the reseller owns his own account, then he can make the same modifications to his account. To prevent this you need to make the reseller's account be owned by root, as Michael posted earlier.

6. Hostdango

Hostdango Member

OK, and the container (after that is done) is then limited to the space allotted to the reseller? What I'm trying to say is, let's say Reseller X has been allotted 40 GB of space and 400 GB of data transfer. Does that reseller (after making the adjustments Michael suggested) then have a virtual 40 GB hard drive to play in and create space in?

I guess that's the end game I want to make sure I achieve. I don't want to sell someone 40/400 and have them be allowed to create accounts that are 50/500.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's better to avoid references such as "container" and "virtual drive" because those relate to virtual private servers. A reseller is not the same thing as a VPS.

However, let's say the reseller owns it's own account. If you limit accounts that the reseller user can create by resource usage, then the reseller or any of the accounts created under it will not be able to exceed those limits. If you allow "overselling", then the reseller can assign packages to the accounts that exceed the resources allocated, however the users will not actually be able to exceed those limits.

Overselling means that the reseller will be limited by the resources they have actually used instead of the resources they have been allocated.

Thank you.

8. Hostdango

Hostdango Member

OK thanks Michael. That's exactly what I thought (and hoped) but wanted to make sure of it.

Thanks again!