The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers customers IP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by haze, Mar 8, 2002.

1. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Ok, my resellers customers are all name based. What is the process in which I take in order to make them his IP and not the default name based IP for the server.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Anybody?

3. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

See:
    http://web.cpanel.net/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=178
    (it doesn't answer your question though, just asks it)

From what I have read, one should:
    - change the DNS config of the domain so that it points to the reseller's IP;
    - use the reseller's IP number in the VirtualHost directive for the reseller's accounts in httpd.conf.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

See:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/
    for the complete documentation.

To me, the main advantage of this is that you can determine perfectly the data transfer generated by all the reseller's accounts.

But there must be other implications. For example, WHM's function to change the ownership of these accounts wouldn't work.

Of course, the possible implementation of this option in the future shouldn't force us to give an IP-based account to each reseller.

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for lending a hand. I have attempted to do the above, yet I encounter a problem. When it comes to FTPing to the account I receive an error stating I have entered the wrong password. As there are no name based accounts in my proftpd.conf file, I can not enter the account info.

5. Juanra

Juanra Well-Known Member

I have found two possible solutions:

- Adding a Bind directive for the main server to listen to the reseller's IP. This is bad because the reseller could tell clients to use another IP (e.g. the main server's) to avoid being charged for FTP data transfer.

- Combining all the password files of the reseller's accounts into one, and specifying that file as the argument of the AuthUserFile directive inside the reseller's VirtualHost. I've met two problems with this:
    a) the functionality of the ftp_bytes log stops working; and
    b) the reseller's main account anonymous FTP configuration is shared by all name-based virtual hosts residing in the same IP.

Well, and of course
    c) you wouldn't be able to add FTP accounts from CPanel.

To measure the bytes transferred by name-based accounts through FTP we're using one big log file:

LogFormat OurFtpLog &%v %u %m %b&
    &Global&
    ExtendedLog /var/log/ourftp.log ALL OurFtpLog
    &/Global&

and assign bytes every 15 minutes.

6. idn

idn Well-Known Member

[quote:4f5e442fc2][i:4f5e442fc2]Originally posted by iminteractive[/i:4f5e442fc2]

Hey, thanks for lending a hand. I have attempted to do the above, yet I encounter a problem. When it comes to FTPing to the account I receive an error stating I have entered the wrong password. As there are no name based accounts in my proftpd.conf file, I can not enter the account info.
    [/quote:4f5e442fc2]

edit /etc/proftpd.conf for the domain that was name based and change it to the ip of their account now

sean