The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers, Owning resellers... am i at risk?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Justin22, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Justin22

Justin22 Member

Hey everyone, this is Justin, I'm having a little problem here... well not really a problem rather a question...

I have a customer who wants to own resellers... heres exactly my thinking...

I create a reseller with the account root named "customer1"

Customer 1 makes a shared account named "shared1"

Customer 1 asks me to make shared1 a reseller... I make shared1 a reseller in Reseller Center, "shared1" is still owned by "customer1" even though he is a reseller...

So my question is, does "shared1" use space of the harddrive of root? Or does it use "customer1"'s quota?

My thinking is it uses customer1's quota?

I hope you could understand this very confusing post :rolleyes:

Thank you for reading and please reply :)

-- Justin

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

If you make shared1 a reseller, the account will no longer be owned by customer1. Instead it will be a seperate account, and use the root disk space.

3. Justin22

Justin22 Member

What thats garbage, because the account is still owned by customer1, even though it is a reseller... like I can change its pass and all... (With customer1) .... so why wouldn't it use customer1's diskspace because IT IS owned by customer1!

4. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

If you already know the answer to your question, do not post here. I was giving you my opinion in this not "garbage", there is certainly no reason for you to start having a go at me.

5. Justin22

Justin22 Member

Sorry, it appears you took that the wrong way...

I just really want the answer to this... I posted hear to clarify... thank you for your opinion...

I'm just looking for a range of opinions... and I don't understand how what your saying can be true when it is indeed owned by "customer1"... It just doesnt make sense that it would steal off root's quota...

If anyone is 100% sure of their answer, please post it here!

btw, sorry celliot

6. simplestar

simplestar Well-Known Member

You can setup 'plan packages' and configure your reseller to be able to creat plans with the ones you have added for them to use. When you creat the plan, you can determine the quota. You can also set it so however many accounts the Reseller opens, the overall cannot exceed the quota you initially determined. Also, click on Reseller Center and edit reseller account and packages, to see what I'm talking about.

7. Justin22

Justin22 Member

So from what I gathered, If the reseller creates the shared user first, and I change the shared user to reseller... shared is still owned by the reseller that created him (This is true, i got this far), But what I'm wondering is, does the shared user, (which has become reseller) use root's quota and bandwidth, or does it use the person who owns it/created it...?

8. Murtaza_t

Murtaza_t Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well if the owner of shared1 is customer1 then all the disk and bandwidth used by shared1 will be counted in the total quota of customer1.

Its like a reseller under reseller. A reseller can create a reseller if you have giving him the privileges or if the root turns it into one as of in your case.

9. simplestar

simplestar Well-Known Member

What this means is, if you alot the primary Reseller privilages to create accounts and you set their account up with a specific quota, then, should that primary reseller create another account, regardless of what type of account they create, the quota will be used from the primary reseller's overall quota that 'you' initially set. Hope this helps.

10. Justin22

Justin22 Member

Thanks a lot guys :)

This helps a lot... now we can expand into the world of Reseller, Reselling :)