The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers shared IP address problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techark, Nov 2, 2002.

1. techark

techark Well-Known Member

OK I have tried this thing on 5 servers now and it is screwy on all of em.

What I have found is that the first doman listed in httpd.conf is the one that shows when the IP is entered in the address bar of the browser. Shouldn't this be a separate page like the default apache page? Now I have also found that site also gets all the other sites sharing that IP address log entries in their AWStats. That site also catches all the 401 errors for all sites on that IP. Has me wondering if that site is also getting charged with the bandwidth used by the other sites.

Sites getting mixed up if I give a reseller a shared IP and try and move 3 or 4 of his sites to it when I enter the url for one site I get another, or I end up with the default Apache screen instead of the web site.

So has anyone else got this feature to work? OR is all my servers I have tried this on messed up somehow?

2. techark

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Now ftp will not work, it trys to use the ftp conf for one site only no matter what site name or user name you try and use.

Viewing proftd.conf it has made a vhost entry for all 5 domains sharing the IP and using the first one it encounters as the default ftp logon so if you are trying to ftp to site YYYYYY.com it is using the conf of site XXXXXX.com and expecting the username from that account.

I deleted the vhost entries in proftpd.conf but it still does not work.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

I have submitted tickets to Nick but no answers to any of them.

3. techark

4. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

We just use the server IP for reseller accounts. We also create a dummy account and place that as the first entry on the IP in httpd.conf so that will show up if someone happens to visit it. That way, no matter what comes after it, we always know that the primary IP will always show the content we want. You might consider that if you're assigning resellers a different IP from the pool.

5. techark

I normally do that, but Nick added the feature ot give resellers their own shared IP and many are finding out about it and asking for it now. Plus I just found out a new server I just brought on lines IP number was part of a block listed at spews so some of the resellers want their own IP number.

And the feature is not working..:-(((

6. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You could pull a Nancy Reagan and just say no. :)

Seriously, we haven't done the reseller-IP thing, so I'm afraid that I'd just be groping in the dark on that. Sorry.

7. toplevelhost

toplevelhost Member

I having the same problem but it has became a little more complex. But it's between Apache and whm. For some reason it can get really mested up. Once you start deleting thous ip number and domains with usernames. WHM does not totally take and remove all the files. You may have to pay close attention to your server, because it may go down with the lose of apache.
    At that point you must roll back the config file to before the names and ips where entered.

The dummy account sounds like a good idea, It should be named NS1.Domain.com

On some of the earlier builds of cpanel the apache default would cover the domain, but on the recent ones the ip and the domain name are going to view the same.