The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers who assign less then 1 ftp account to their sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sexy_guy, Apr 26, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

We just went through hell! One of our resellers was livid. None of his 6 accounts could ftp to their sites. I tore my hair out trying to work out why.

Anyone have a clue.

Sure! The problem is this. When you create a site in WHM cpanel assigns 2 ftp accounts be default. Why is that? My resellers gave them 1 ftp account, per site when he created his sites. Its not our resellers fault. Its Cpanel fault totally. Why on earth would Cpanel assign two ftp accounts to each site created? So because my reseller had no clue and assigned only 1 nobody was able to ftp to the site? This is dumb! If 2 ftp accounts is the default then Cpanel scripts should be checking for anyone trying to assign less then 2. Hello!

After we changed our reselllers account to 2 ftp accounts per site, per account ftp miraclously started working. WOW what a concept!

My point. This script should be checking what the reseller is assigning. Less then 2 give him an error msg!!!

2. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Well your point was a good one i give you that but a little to harsh, Allthought, I think they need to put into consideration of creating the 2 ftp accounts and not having them go against the accounts you give the user to create for themselves. Which i kinda noticed this when i setup accounts, its never a problem because we give plenty of ftp access, even to the smallest packages.

3. sexy_guy

Thank you, harsh or not. Our resellers are stingy and they can give out as many ftp accounts as they want. If Cpanel is creating 2 by default it should not allow less then to be assigned period. I think this would fix up the confusion here.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This really isn't a bug, its just behavior that you aren't expecting. Right now we count the user and user_logs account as 2 ftp accounts. I agree that this is pretty counterintuitive so we will probably change this in 6.4.1.

5. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

I agree its not a bug but, but for instance if you assigned one ftp account, one that be one extra FTP accounts or one account (all the ftp accounts set up to begin with).... All of you ask yourselves hat :p

6. sexy_guy

Great, thanks

7. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is really no big deal. But would be nice to have it corrected. Only one of my customers has ever mentioned this problem, to my knowledge.

Thanks Nick.