The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resellers without hosting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MantisComp, Oct 28, 2008.

1. MantisComp

MantisComp Active Member

Hi
    I have been using Plesk and now migrating to cPanel.
    In Plesk a reseller will have a cleint account and all his hosting under that account and some resellers have accounts on multi Plesk servers.

In cPanel I need to create accounts for my resellers without hosting and DNS etc for their own domain.
    The only way I see to do this is to setup a false domain like nodomain.com, but this seems messy and will use disk space for unused hosting and DNS.

Is there any other way to do this?

2. chuza

chuza Well-Known Member

Elaborate on that a lil. A Plesk reseller has accounts on different servers?? and why would you want to create dummy accounts for resellers. Why bother creating accounts if they are dummy accounts.

3. MantisComp

MantisComp Active Member

Dummy accounts because there doesn't seem to be a way just to have a user login without having a domain associated with it.
    I need my resellers to be able to login and admin their clients hosting accounts without having to setup hosting for the reseller.
    Lets say the reseller is Fred, Fred has 10 hosting accounts for his clients, but he doesn't have hosting of his own.

So how do I setup Fred without hosting, so Fred can then login and create accounts?

4. FreedomBI

FreedomBI Well-Known Member

You could give him something like fred.yourdomain.com

5. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Create a dummy account for Fred like domain.com or xyz.com and keep its diskquota and bandwidth minimal if you know they are not physically hosting account, give this account reseller priviliges from "WHM >> Resellers >> Reseller Center". After this, obviously domain.com and xyz.com won't have existing DNS pointing to your server, so they can login to their reseller interface like below.

http://a.b.c.d:2086

where a.b.c.d is the IP of your cPanel server.
    You can define priviliges for this reseller (what it can do in terms of control) from "WHM >> Resellers >> Reseller Center >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers".