The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reset/Wipe my Server???

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by aquillium, Sep 8, 2010.

1. aquillium

aquillium Member

Hi Guys,

Searched right through Google and used the search form here but cant find anything...

Semi new to cpanel, been using it for years but have only just started delving into PHP and Drupal.

Im having problems with my server... or maybe i just have lack of knowledge.

The main question i have is: How does one reset or wipe a server of everything except the files that were there originally?

To expand on that,

Im trying to delete a previously install of drupal except i receive errors that i cannot delete some files and folders. 550 error if i remember correctly.

I have set the files and folders to full permissions but still i get the error. I also looked into running queries through phpMyAdmin and still had no luck.

Effectively, i would just like to nuke everything in the /public_html/ and reset the server back to what it was originally. There were files within the /public_html/ when i first started so i'd like to keep them intact or be able to add them back once i've wiped everything.

Just want to be able to upload drupal into the pub_html folder and start again,

Any directions using cPanel or WHM would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

2. aquillium

aquillium Member

Anyone? Why is there no information for this anywhere?

Am i being too n00b for the newbies forum or does no one know?

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Was this Drupal installed via Fantastico by chance?

Who is owner of the files in question?

Different topic and problem than the above. But to do this, visit your cPanel, click phpMyAdmin icon, on page that opens, left menu, click the database you want to run your query on, and then click the tab at top for Query. Or click the SQL tab, depending on your needs not mentioned here.

Depending on the server configuration and your account itself, you might have/had a cgi-bin directory created in public_html. Most everything else could be killed. There's an easy way to keep yourself out of trouble though, I call it backups. Create a new folder inside public_html and move everything to it you think you don't need. Next, right click and 'cut' that folder and move it outside the public_html for safe keeping. If something goes wrong, you've not "nuked" anything and can put back what you moved out.

The docs are a great place to start:
    cPanel User Guide

And of course, your host is another great resource you should take advantage of.

4. aquillium

aquillium Member

Hey Infopro,

Thanks for your reply,

Ok so to answer some of your questions:
    - Nope, no Fantasico install (jsut ftp to Public_html)
    - I'm the owner, i own the entire server (reseller package)
    - I know how to run queries within PhpMyAdmin but none of them worked (essentially to remove the processes to the files i wished to delete)
    - I already have a backup.

What im trying to find out is how to return my server to what you would normally be given by a Hosting provider. Ready to drag and drop drupal into. I appreciate the time you took to ask the questions but im still not getting anywhere.

Cheers.

5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You drop any databases in MySQL, remove all files and folders in public_html directory except cgi-bin, and kill all email accounts. Other than removing stats data that's about it. A new account again.

6. aquillium

aquillium Member

It really is this easy....

I seriously cant believe this but all you do is rename 'public_html' to 'public_html_backup' then make yourself a new folder and call it 'Public_html'...

I added the only folder i could remember that was in their ('cgi-bin') and its working.

Thanks anyways,

#6 aquillium, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  7. aquillium

aquillium Member

That you for the reply, but my main issue at the top was that i could not delete everything i wanted. Received the 550 error even when full permissions were given.

Thank anyways,