Resetting email password is not working

cPanel & WHM Version

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

When I open mydomain.com/webmail and try to reset the password, I have to enter my username, which is ok and functioning, but when I see another step of the reset password procedure, I get confused:

Complete your contact email address below to receive your security code.
Contact Email Address:
Hint: [email protected]

This is absolutely not part of my contact address. And when I try to enter my real contact email address, it says: "The email address you provided does not match our records.". But it is correct, it's the same as "Preferences >> Contact Information" exactly.

I have also checked "Tweak settings" in WHM:
"Allow cPanel users to reset their password via email." is set to "on".

How can I solve this issue?

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello! To confirm, your email doesn't start with x and end with m before the @, and it doesn't start with p and end with a after the @? Also, if you navigate to "list accounts" in WHM, you can verify that the correct contact email is displayed?

Thanks!
Yes sure, my email is correct at "list accounts" in WHM and same as in "Preferences >> Contact Information" exactly.

cPanelAnthony

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 18, 2021
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello again! My apologies, I was thinking of the wrong contact email.

The contact email for email addresses is actually different than the contact email for the cPanel account. If you open the cPanel interface for the cPanel user, then click on 'User Manager' under 'Preferences', you should be able to click 'Edit' under the email accounts listed there. On that page, you can specify the 'Contact Email Address' that can be used for password resets.

Please let me know if this helps!

ImperialTrader

Aug 31, 2014
Egypt
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello again! My apologies, I was thinking of the wrong contact email.

The contact email for email addresses is actually different than the contact email for the cPanel account. If you open the cPanel interface for the cPanel user, then click on 'User Manager' under 'Preferences', you should be able to click 'Edit' under the email accounts listed there. On that page, you can specify the 'Contact Email Address' that can be used for password resets.

Please let me know if this helps!
Oh, ok, fine.
Now it works, thank you :)