The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

resolv.conf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elleryjh, Jul 7, 2003.

1. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

I upgraded CPanel today to 7.1.0. After the upgrade, I got this popup in WHM:

Resolver Setup
    This wizard will guide you though setting up your resolver configuration file (/etc/resolv.conf). You currently have one or more of cPanel.net's dns resolvers in your /etc/resolv.conf. You will need to set these to your datacenter's local resolvers as these servers are only intended for use during a cPanel install. If you continue to use them connections to your server be exceedingly slow because of the time it takes to complete a dns lookup.

Here's my resolv.conf entry:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 109 Apr 11 23:52 resolv.conf

It hasn't been modified since April, so this must not be a new problem, right?

My server has been working for a while, and seems to be working fine now too.

Here's the contents of the file:
    domain darkorb.net
    search darkorb.net
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 66.197.217.11
    nameserver 66.197.217.12

So so I need to fix this? If so, how do I get this info? Thanks for your help.

Thanks for you help.

#1 elleryjh, Jul 7, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2003
  2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

This was covered in the changelog,

Thu Jul 3 16:03:05 EDT 2003
    6.x Build#17
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

force people using cpanel.net's dns resolves to set them to their datacenter's
    local resolvers as there are too many people using them and never setting up
    their resolv.conf

For cpanel itself. Basically, It's doing what cpanel wants it to do, now you need to know what addresse your network provider's dns servers are at.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

3. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

thanks for the quick response! :)

4. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

We are having this Wizard pop up on one server following an upgrade to version 7 stable.

The resolv.conf is correctly configured, as it always has been been. Should I just follow the wizard to stop this keep popping up to make the changes again?

5. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

You know whats odd? My resolve would never let me add the correct ip's, I would manually change them via the conf file and it would restore them back to the cpanel server's. Ofcourse I applied the correct settings when I first got the server I'm talking about in the whm script. Never had any other server do this but this one. After I got irratated with it I finally just said the hell with it because everything worked fine and there weren't many people on the server. After this update it's applied the correct settings. You just have no idea how much that makes me mad lol.. Have any of you had a problem like this? Considering the statement made in the changelog about to many people using it, I'm wondering if I were the only one..

6. perlchild

Not sure why it would do that, but I've had annoying "parts" of cpanel misbehave before, like "lost" parked domains and such, usually was explainable by tight disk space, or load, but not always.

7. AbeFroman

AbeFroman BANNED

cpanel often reverts things back, i have had to open my can of
    chattr +i serveral times, so far they arent smart enough to do chattr -i then revert back.

8. perlchild

of course, but it kinda defeats the point of cpanel to chattr /var/cpanel/users
    doesn't it?

9. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, if cpanel wouldn't touch resolv.conf in the first place, then we wouldn't BE using darkorb resolv, now would we?

Most (competent) datacenters install a working resolver on the system as it is (usually named), so why is it even necessary for CPanel on installation, or anything else to even change these?