The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Resolved] SPF record not working for main root server domain name.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by setsuid, Oct 2, 2012.

1. setsuid

setsuid Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everyone! I'm having a problem that I just cant figure out and we're now on 24 hour notice from hour hosting company (Softlayer) that they'll be terminating our account if we can't resolve it.

Somehow someone is spoofing our users using the server domain and we're being blacklisted and reported.

Let me explain: Say user1 (the default user of an account) belongs to account user1domain.com. They have an established account and all via WHM and have a cpanel account, etc. All is well.

The account is being spoofed by someone using the default user account ex. user1, but not using it's account domain; it's using @srv1.mydomain.net (which is the root server domain). There is no mailbox for user1@user1domain.com (at least when I try sending to it), but using Squirrelmail I can access _a_ mailbox and the headers show it's receiving mail for user1@srv1.mydomain.net

I can see in the logs the tons of connections to SMTP servers my server is making: tail -f -n 500 /var/log/exim_mainlog

I have tried adding a TXT record for SPF purposes as follows.

srv1.mydomain.net. 14400 IN TXT "v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:XX.XX.XX.XX -all"

When using the Microsoft SPF check tool it fails:

No SPF Record Found. A and MX Records Available
    No SPF record has been found for the domaindname1.mydomain.net. However, MX and/or A records currently exist for this domain.

Addresses Listed in A records
    XX.XX.XX.XX

I have added an SPF record for user1domain.com and it works just fine, but the problem is that email isnt going to user1@user1domain.com - it's going to user1@srv1.mydomain.net

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer!

2. setsuid

setsuid Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This post can be closed.. It was actually something where the TXT record needed to be added at the DNS server hosting srv1.mydomain.net which was Softlayer. The SPF tools are now able to see the SPF record.

Thanks to cPanel support!