The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolver question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4u123, Jan 12, 2008.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I know everyone always recommends that you use nameservers provided by your data center to use as your main resolvers but is that really a good idea if you have your own dedicated cpanel nameservers?

What advantage would there be of using the DC's busy servers rather than the dedicated "DNS only" nameservers I have set up for cpanel ? Surely my cpanel servers will be better because, as resolvers, they are only receiving lookup requests from my own servers and not from anywhere else - wont that be a faster option?

#1 4u123, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Was that a stupid question ? I dont know very much about the kind of resolvers used in DC's. I guess there would be an advantage in that using the DC's servers means using their bandwidth not your own.

This question really stems from an issue not long ago whereby the DC's resolvers were very slow and this caused a major slowdown issue with email on our hosting servers.

Is it viable to use your cpanel nameservers as resolvers ?

#2 4u123, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  3. webofunni

webofunni Active Member

I don't think there is any advantage in using DC's nameservers unless they have a good nameserver configuration such as separate servers for different nameservers which you cannot afford ........................... :)

4. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

So you use your own "dns only" nameservers also as your resolvers ?