Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolving email receive issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by AdamTait88, Jan 31, 2018.

1. AdamTait88

AdamTait88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there

Sorry if this is a silly question or in the wrong place, I have recently taken over admin of a site for a family member from the people who set it up.

I want to set up a new email address on the domain, and have done so - however, while the new email account is able to send emails out to other address, and can send and receive an email to itself, it can't receive emails from other accounts.

(There are no other email accounts being used on the domain).

When I try and reply to a test email sent from the new email account I get a '550 5.0.1 user unknown' error.

In the authentication area of Cpanel I see that DKIM has issues ("Warning: cPanel is unable to verify that this server is an authoritative nameserver for “domain.tld.uk”. "). And on IntoDNS I get a TLD Parent Check warning.

My question is, can I simply disable DKIM in Cpanel without causing an issue for the site itself, and will doing so resolve the issues with the new email account receiving mail?

Thanks in advance.

#1 AdamTait88, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2018
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can disable DKIM, but I don't believe that's the issue. Are you sure the MX records for this domain name resolve to the cPanel server? For instance, does this domain name use name servers at it's registrar associated with the cPanel server?

Thank you.

3. AdamTait88

AdamTait88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, thanks for your response. As I'm sure is evident I'm very novice with this, so apologies if I misunderstand you.

According to IntoDNS the nameservers give a different IP to the one listed as the shared IP address in the server information in cPanel.

Is this what's causing the issue setting up the new email account on the domain?

Thanks again

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's possible. Do you have root access to this system? If so, you can check to see if the name server IP addresses you see at IntoDNS are IP addresses associated with the cPanel server. Otherwise, you'd need to check with the hosting provider to determine which name servers to use. Another utility to use is:

MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox

However, note that it's likely to list false positives with some of the warnings.

Thank you.

5. AdamTait88

AdamTait88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok thanks. Mx Lookup reports no DMARC record found. Is that something I can easily repair and will that repair the email issue?

The registrar is 1&1 - do I need to reach out to them and ask them to make a change in nameserver to the ip given in cPanel as the shared IP address?

Thanks again fro your help and bearing with me!

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We document how to add a DMARC record via "cPanel >> Zone Editor" at:

Zone Editor - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

While it may help in some cases, it's unlikely to be the cause of the issue you reported.

No, you'd simply want to ensure the name servers assigned to the domain name match the name servers provided to you by your web hosting provider. Or, if you have root or reseller access to this server, you can setup your own name servers using the guide documented at:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

7. AdamTait88

AdamTait88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Yea I had a look at the DMARC documentation earlier in the week but thought that perhaps wouldn't solve the issue as you say.

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely clear whether I have root or reseller access or not, but I guess my not knowing probably means I don't?

If that's the case, what do I need to ask 1&1 to do? Give me the nameservers details so I can assign them to the domain?

Thanks.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  9. AdamTait88

AdamTait88 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok but when I do that hostingdetector returns:

Hosted by - To determine the registration information for a more

What does that mean?

Thanks

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's possible that service is unable to find your hosting provider. Do you know which company you pay for the web hosting service?

Thank you.