The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restore a cpmove backup to two different users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by janipewter, Jan 2, 2013.

1. janipewter

janipewter Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all, I have recently successfully moved my entire hosting package from one server to another using the cpmove feature in WHM. However my main site is running a very outdated version of some CMS and I want to upgrade it but I cannot afford downtime. Therefore I wish to do a second restoration of the main cpmove backup, to another user on the server and run that same site on a different domain I own so that I can tinker with it behind closed doors without affecting the running of the main site. Then once I have figured out how to do the upgrades, I can just apply them straight to the main site and know it will work with no downtime.

Is there anyway I can prepare a cpmove backup to be restored to another user? I know it is username dependant, so I changed the username on the account before creating the backup and then tried to restore but it fails due to another account already owning the domains etc, which I understand.

So in short, can it be done, for example by modifying the backup itself before restoring?

Thanks.

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The easiest way to do this is to change the domain and username on the account you restored using Home » Account Functions » Modify an Account. This will prevent domain and username conflicts. Then, restore the account again. Then you will have two copies of the account, one with the original domain and username and one with a different domain and username.

3. janipewter

janipewter Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks a lot.