The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AliMH, May 17, 2012.

1. AliMH

AliMH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hi
    i made a full backup from my old host and wanna to restore in my new VPS.
    i have no problem with restore function but it take to much time and my PC cannot be logged in internet for alot of time.
    is there anyway to set to restore backup file and close the window and cpanel restore it in background?
    i had set to restore my cpmove around 8 hours ago but unfortunately had around 30 sec no data transmission (no send/rec) and restore page stop wroking when i refresh the page restore process begin it from start.

#1 AliMH, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Install screen utility; it should be what you need" To install screen, run "yum install screen" from shell as user root. Then chmod 777 /var/run/screen.

Now run the command "screen -S restore" and you will be logged into a new screen session named "restore". Now run the /scripts/restorepkg <user> to restore the account and you may see that it is strated to restore the account. To detach from the particular screen session press "ctrl+a" and then press d. Now you may logout and the restoration process will run on the server without issues.

When you want to check the restore status, login to the server and run "screen -x restore"; you may see the restoration process status there!

Refer How do I Use Multiple Screens on One Terminal over ssh session? and Screen Command Examples: Get Control of Linux / Unix Terminal for more details!

Thank you,
    Nibin.

3. AliMH

AliMH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your instrument is working well, i will report success/faliure here.

4. AliMH

AliMH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    does this process take alot of time (more than 32 hours?)

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The process time cannot be estimated without knowing the size of the account being restored and the server's load and the number of CPUs as just some components. The account could take many hours or over a day if it is large enough. It likely wouldn't matter the time to restore if you do it in screen, since you can disconnect and the restore will continue.

6. AliMH

AliMH Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    backup file is around 8.3gb compress file and i bought vps with 2ghz cpu and 1gb ram and 40gb hard
    i wait for 50 hours and i couldn' even login to my vps, so after 50 hours i restart server and restore progress terminated .
    it restore account and databases and 2GB of files.
    i didn't wanna wait for another 100 hours to restore complete, so i extract backup backupfile to do final stage manually, now i wanna list homedir but it show no file in it.
    is there any problem with untar progress (it show Done)? or i have to do something to list files and folders in homedir?

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have a homedir.tar file in the backup? If so, that's where the files and folders are located.