The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restore an Account as an Addon Domain --- HOW ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by furquan, May 2, 2012.

1. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I have a backup of a domain from a different host and my client wants me to restore that account as an addon domain under his account.

I have never done this and hence I am unsure what are the necessary steps to be taken.

I currently have the cPanel backup of the site on my server, and now I need to know how do I being restoring this account as an addon domain under his account.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated.

Thank you all !!!

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello furquan,

It would be easier to restore the account normally and then add it to the other account by having them list it as a reseller owned account. This means making the main account a reseller, then adding the other account as owned by that reseller. This would then have the account available in the cPanel account as a dropdown to switch to it.

Otherwise, it will be a fair amount of manual intervention to get this to work. You'd want to restore the account normally, then copy over the data for that account to the other one. This would include things like public_html content, email accounts in /home/username/mail folder, the password entries would need to be merged with the user's other ones in /home/username/etc location. The MySQL databases would need to be exported and imported to the new account (if you are using database prefixing, there will be username changes).

I really would gently nudge the user into wanting the account to remain a main account that is under the other one as reseller owned. It would help you not pull out your hair during the process.

Thanks!

3. furquan

furquan Well-Known Member

Hello Tristan,

Thank you very very much for your response.

Yes you are correct there is a fairly large amount of manual work involved in doing this and that is the reason I put in this request on the board :(

Is there any work being done in addressing this issue back at the head quarters of cP :)

Or any third party tool or utility that can address this with ease as for now :P

Thank you once again for listening !

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello furquan,

We have a feature request to move an addon domain to another account as the main domain at http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/tool-...ull-account-please-case-8970-a-157953-p3.html

I am not aware of such a request to move a main domain to be an addon domain (I searched but didn't find anything). You are welcome to open up a feature request at this location:

Feature Requests for cPanel/WHM

The idea to move an existing main domain to be an addon is pretty rarely asked in comparison to asking an addon to become a main domain on another account. I am not certain how many people would have worked on a script to do that for that reason.

Thanks!

5. gkgcpanel

gkgcpanel Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I just added a feature request for this.