Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Restore email forwarders - not working

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Adam315, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Adam315

Adam315 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm trying to restore my email forwarders for a domain, exported from cpanel 72, in the format:

forwarder@domain.com: email1@domain.com
    forwarder2@domain.com: email1@domain.com

- I select the file to restore from within the destination cpanel account, and upload.

I'm then taken to a page which is cpanel theme with textarea filled with the contents of the file, but after that, nothing. No options, no forwarders created.

I remember in previous versions, that the import option expected a comma separated file and did not accept (annoyingly, and inexplicbly) the file format generated by the export option. Now, in v72 there is nothing to suggest the expected format of the file, so is it still comma separated? or should it accept the format generated by the exporter?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Trying to duplicate this, I created five forwards on an account from Email > Forwarders. Next, I used the Download Email Forwarders from cPanel > Files > Backup area, to export. Then I deleted those forwards from the Forwarders area where I created them. Finally, I uploaded the backup called aliases-example.com.gz, and it opened a page as you describe with the contents of the backup file displayed. Each forwarder is on its own line, exactly as you have in your post. No commas.

Things seem to work fine for me, on cPanel v. 70.0.51 though.

I did come across some other sort of issue along the way. If I extract that aliases-example.com.gz file, manually edit, or no edits, I tried both, and then compress it locally to aliases-example.com.zip and then upload it, I get this error:
    You do not own the domain “aliases-example.com.zip”.

These are the only items I can find in the past few release changelogs related to forwarders:
    Code:
    Fixed case CPANEL-7561: Prevent double escaping when deleting an email forwarder.
    Fixed case CPANEL-17684: Forwarders: reject invalid characters in pipe commands.
    Fixed case CPANEL-17685: Forwarders: require email and domain to match.
    Fixed case CPANEL-17686: Forwarders: correctly list forbidden characters in script names.
    Fixed case CPANEL-18565: Allow creation of forwarders to local domains owned by other users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Adam315

Adam315 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for trying it out. It's a shame there is no output from this module other than the contents of the file, it could do with some work!

Would you happen to know if there are log entries created somewhere that my host could look at?

edit: I just tried compressing to .zip locally (windows) and uploading, and the text area showed the contents of the zip file! (binary).

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Interesting. Were those forwarders restored from the zip file attempt?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Adam315

Adam315 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    sadly not, no luck as yet.

I do have access to several other v72 cpanel accounts dotted around, so I could do some tests to help narrow it down. Could just be an issue with the host config.

And ultimately I can just code up some PHP/API to import them seeing as this isnt something I need to do regularly.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It might be helpful to know if this happens on another of your accounts, or if its just this one.

7. Adam315

Adam315 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Just tested at another host and it worked as expected, so it would appear to be a problem with the host config. I think this highlights the importance of displaying a result.

Thanks

Infopro likes this.
  8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Indeed. A friendly failed message of some sort would be helpful.