Restore vs. Recreate?

jols

Mar 13, 2004
I am trying to bring in a servers's worth of cpbackup files to a new server.

For restoring multiple backups I have the choice between RESTORING the accounts, or chosing RECREATE ACCOUNT instead. The latter is selected as default.

Can someone please explain the difference between these two options? The cPanel documentation does not give a clue. Thanks.

electric

Nov 5, 2001
jols said:
Nevermind. I think I just figured it out.
So what is the difference?

;)

jols

Mar 13, 2004
electric said:
So what is the difference?

;)

There is no difference. I was just mis-reading the options on the page.

Recreate was already selected for each account. None of the restore checkboxes were selected. I just needed to click the Select All In This Column button so that all of the accounts would be restored AND recreated.

It was a bit confusing at first because it made no sense to me that an account would be restored but not recreated? I still don't quite get that part, but everything seemed to go well in any case.

linux.newbie

Sep 8, 2006
Recreate option is used when you need a backup restore after a primary disk failure.

Restore is to be used when you need to overwrite the current account using the backup available.

That is what I make of it :p

WebHostPro

PartnerNOC
Jul 28, 2002
LA, Costa RIca
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Recreate option is used when you need a backup restore after a primary disk failure.

Restore is to be used when you need to overwrite the current account using the backup available.

That is what I make of it :p
That's what I thought too, but the restore option also recreates the account. So why have both.