restorepkg can't restore from a read-only file system

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I'm trying to restore an incremental backup from a read-only file system (zfs snapshot) but restorepkg fails because it can't create temporary files.

Is there any way to tell restorepkg to create temporary files in a different location?
Hello,

It's not possible to restore an account to a read-only filesystem because the restore process requires writing files to the account's home directory.

Thank you.

Islandhosting

May 15, 2015
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not trying to restore *to* a read-only file system, I'm trying to restore *from* a read-only file system.

/home/USERNAME is on a normal, writable file system.

/backup/.zfs/snapshot/2016-07-10/accounts/USERNAME is an incremental backup that is on a read-only file system (we implement daily incrementals using ZFS snapshots).

The restorepkg command isn't having trouble writing to /home/USERNAME, the problem is that during the process it creates temporary files in the same location that the backup is located at (/backup/.zfs/snapshot/2016-07-10/accounts/USERNAME in this example). It shouldn't need to do that, since it's copying data anyway, it should be possible to use the *destination* for the temporary files, or even a different location entirely.

I was just hoping that there was an undocumented command line switch, or maybe an environment variable that could be set to tell it to use a specific path for temp files while restoring.

In any case, it's a non-issue now. Using unionfs does the trick and now our clients have daily incremental backups that go back months without using huge amounts of disk space (thanks to ZFS)