The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring a backup with username already in the server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sharmaine001, Dec 12, 2009.

1. sharmaine001

sharmaine001 Well-Known Member

I am transferring/untarring the backup to my VPS. However the username is already existing in the server. I tried to change the username of the domain in my VPS to something else using Modify Account in WHM. Then I unpackage the backup file. However after doing so, it messed it up. Although cpanel says its successful, when I checked WHM, the domain associated is the old domain where username has already been changed to something else. I tried running /scripts/updateuserdomains /scripts/rebuildcpusers but it didnt help. I even deleted the domain in the VPS so I can restore the backup but its still not right.

Any help?

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

The backup file should be of the same username you are trying to restore otherwise it will not allow you to restore from WHM.

If possible please take the backup again with the same username and try again.

3. sharmaine001

thats not im asking. you dont understand what I said.

This is the example:

my VPS has already a user "user1" for another domain myuser.com

I am transferring a backup from other host with user "user1" also but different domain iamuser.com

cpanel wont allow me to restore the backup for iamuser.com because user1 already exists in my VPS

so what i did was i changed the username of myuser.com from user1 to user2. Then I restore the backup for iamuser.com

To my surprise, cpanel messed it up. Although the files for iamuser.com has been restored, it is using domain myuser.com

I checked /var/cpanel/users and there are now 2 users there - user1 and user2

when i opened user1 file, the domain associated is myuser.com instead of iamuser.com

I have tried terminating the account and the /var/cpanel/users do not get deleted. So i tried to manually delete user1 and user2 files from /var/cpanel/users

I restored the backup again for iamuser.com to my VPS but it is using domain myuser.com which is wrong!

This is a bug in cpanel!

This is my problem. Your post doesnt solve it.

#3 sharmaine001, Dec 12, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

This isn't a bug. The solution suggested to you on webhostingtalk.com is correct and works. It seems you tried various things during username change. You will now have to edit the corresponding files of each domain manually and have to correct the entries if something is wrong in there. You will mostly have to check the files under /var/cpanel/users/ directory.

If you are not sure, have someone look into the issue for you.

5. sharmaine001

No i did not do various things before the username change. The instruction is pretty straightforward and thats what I did --

change the username in WHM
    restore the backup

It is NOT working for 11.25. I don't know what version you are using but it surely did NOT work in 11.25 and messed up the domains. This is certainly a bug in cpanel

6. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What is the full cPanel version number used during the steps performed; or, if the version has since been updated, please let us know the cPanel build tree that was configured and the approximate time frame involved.

For suspected bugs please submit a support request so that we may thoroughly investigate the situation and inspect the specific circumstances involved; by submitting a ticket this allows us to more efficiently investigate and troubleshoot the issue in addition to allowing for a speedier resolution. When available, please PM me referencing this forums thread and your new ticket ID number so I may follow-up internally.