The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring a full server backup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gvard, Jul 15, 2004.

1. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Greetings from Greece,

I've searched the forum but couldn't find a complete walkthrough for how to restore the complete server configuration (cpanel, apache etc) through the backups cpanel does, in case of a HDD failure.

To be more exact: I've 2 HDDs and I save the daily/weekly/monthly backup in the 2nd disk, while in the 1st disk I've the server files.

In case my first disk fails, I install a new one in the server, re-install Fedora and then.... what? How can I fully restore the files? A complete walkthrough would be perfect for many of us.

Thanks in advance.

2. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Yes a good explaination of the proper way from the cPanel backup files would be appreciated here too. I've done it once but it was rough and tough.

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

cPanel backups only backup your hosting accounts. You cannot restore your entire server from these files.

You need to explore another backup solution (rsync perhaps) if your goal is to be able to restore your entire system.

4. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

well cpanel backups all the neccessary config files, but does not give a restore function for those, only for the accounts. But they have the option to backup config and mysql dir, which you can manually by hand restore once you've reinstalled cpanel, but its an extremely time consuming process, that could be scripted easily by the folks at cpanel.

5. gvard

gvard Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    So,

I've a new clean box... If I setup cpanel, restore the httpd/exim/mysql config files and the hosting accounts, everything is ok? Is cPanel storing and its config files (domain database etc) ?

Sincerely,

George Vardikos