Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Restoring a lot of accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optize, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optize

optize Well-Known Member

Today we had to do a full restore of a cPanel box for the first time. I was very surprised to see how slow cPanel restores took, it took roughly 11 hours to restore 180 accounts (200gig total)

I'm concerned that our bigger machines (800+ accounts) would take days to restore. Given those servers are much faster then the 180 account one, it will still take a long time. I don't know of a way to tell a customer 'hey, your site will be offline for atleast the next 24 hours, sorry'

So -- I want to hear ideas. Yes, I'm aware of R1, I don't trust it. What do you guys use for restores?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Was the old box entirely offline? If not, you can also consider an rsync to a new machine. An rsync is likely the fastest possible method to copy accounts to a new server in the event the old machine is having hard drive or other issues (but still online). I previously did a post (via a non-staff account at the time) about how to perform an rsync:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/rsync-backups-160054.html#post671150

Any other method such as a restore or off server backup is going to take awhile due to either extracting or copying the data.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.