Restoring backup on server's primary account

cpatafio

Registered
Feb 17, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just setup a new VPS (from Bluehost) using our client's domain name as the Primary Domain.

I need to move the client website from the source VPS to the new target VPS. The domain name (and cpanel user name) for the source account are exactly the same as the domain name used (and cpanel user name created on) the target.

I've created a full cpanel backup of the account on the source and uploaded it to the /home directory of the target. If I use cpmove to restore the account to the target VPS, will this cause an issue since it will overwrite the existing (empty) account?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Clem

SB-Nick

Aug 26, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Not sure why you arent using WHM > Transfers to migrate the account. Anyway, if you are going to restore the account through cli, make sure you use /scripts/restorepkg --force when restoring the account.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

Was any data populated with the account on the destination server? If not, you can simply terminate the account on the destination server before transferring/restoring it from the source server:

"WHM >> Accounts Functions >> Terminate Accounts"

Then, once you restore or transfer the account, ensure the "A" records for NS1/NS2 and the server's hostname are updated.

Thank you.