Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring backups?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Dan Lester, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dan Lester

Dan Lester Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So I understand I can get a .tar.gz backup of my whole domain with cPanel, and I can download that and put it in a safe place. But I am told that "You cannot restore full backups through your cPanel interface." Huh? Then how DO I restore a full backup when my host loses the whole shebang? Do I use the backup to incrementally restore things file by file? I guess Backup Wizard > Restore just restores a couple of things.

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If your "host loses the whole shebang"
    you upload your downloaded tar.gz backup and tell your host where it is and they can restore it for you

3. Dan Lester

Dan Lester Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    So you're saying that I can't do it with cPanel, but my host can do it with their own tools? My host charges to archive my domain, and I don't want to pay them to do that. Pretty easy for me to download and archive myself. But I want to make sure that once I've done that, I have a restoration path. I guess that makes sense that if my host screws it up, they owe it to me to do a restoration.

I guess it just seems a little odd that cPanel doesn't offer this capability. If I can restore everything piecemeal, why wouldn't I be able to restore the whole thing at once? Perhaps the host is just being careful, and wants to make sure that whatever lost my whole domain isn't going to keep doing that.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Restoring the entire account requires root access (it's mostly due to security, as it essentially allows for the creation of a new account). That said, as a cPanel user, you could manually extract the backup archive on your local computer or server and then manually upload any missing website files, emails, or databases (assuming the account directory structure is still in-place).

Thank you.

5. Dan Lester

Dan Lester Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you That's what I thought. I can't restore the entire account in one fell swoop, but I can do it incrementally, using the individual backup files.