The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restoring e-mail forwarders form cpbackup?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by yemoller, Sep 4, 2006.

1. yemoller

yemoller Member

I had to restore a couple of accounts on my server form cpbackups today and now I'm noticing that e-mail forwarders were not restored on some accounts.

I have a couple of older cpbackups of the accounts but I'm unable to find any files in the backups that contain the forwarders.

How do i restore e-mail forwarders only form a cpbackup (what file do i copy to the users account)?

Any help is appreciated!

2. tweakservers

tweakservers Well-Known Member

there is an option in the WHM Backup > restore backup function that shows " Restore Mail Config", try that out.

3. Messiah

Messiah Member
    PartnerNOC

Mail forwarders are listed in text files contained within /etc/valiases/. For example, an alias blahblah@google.com that forwards to postmaster@google.com would be recorded as the following entry in /etc/valiases/google.com
    blahblah@google.com: postmaster@google.com

So basically, all the forwarders for example.com are contained within /etc/valiases/example.com. The entire valiases directory is backed up with cpbackups. You'll need to extract the tarball then copy the domain's valias file to /etc/valiases/. Here's an example:
    I'll pretend you're restoring forwarders for example.com, and that your backup directory is /backup, and that you are restoring the daily backup:
    tar -xzf /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/_etc_valiases.tar.gz
    cp -p /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/etc/valiases/example.com /etc/valiases/example.com

You'll be prompted to overwrite. Confirm. That should do it.

4. yemoller

yemoller Member

Thanks Messiah, found the forwarders !! :D

Strange though, that only some accounts were affected.