Restoring email data from backup

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

What is recommended way to restore e-mails from e-mail adress which is assigned to cPanel account.
Via WHM-Backup Restoration- choose account and Restore Mail Configuration?
Or via command line?

I have tried via WHM but Status is Pending

upload_2018-6-6_14-59-31.png

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Last edited by a moderator:

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Also I have manually copied (in command line) mail dir from backup to mail dir under account.

cp -Rf /backup/2018-06-06/accounts/paneluser/homedir/mail/shop.panel.org/elizabeta /home/paneluser/mail/shop.panel.org

But when I logged to cPanel (port 2083) under E-mail Accounts I do not see e-mail accounts from Restore.

Best regards,
Elizabeta

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

The account will remain in pending status until you click Restore:

restore_pending.png

But this is the best way to restore userdata like mail since it's not incuded in File Restoration.

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

The account will remain in pending status until you click Restore:

View attachment 52627

But this is the best way to restore userdata like mail since it's not incuded in File Restoration.
Thank you very much Lauren for explanation.

I have some question,

when I choose on WHM just option Restore Mail Configuration, I have noticed that be choosed another two option : Restore Subdomains and Restore MySql ( I have noticed that quota exceeded for user, Restore Trash under File Manager)

Another question,

When I doing Restore Mail Configuration from another date like day before, I do not see my new mails from today (on webmail)
However, I see this message under /home/paneluser/mail/shop.panel.org/elizabeta/cur ?

Best regards,
Elizabeta

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello Lauren,

Yes, offcourse.

First question:
If I go to WHM-Home-Backup Restoration- and only choose Restore Mail Configuration, it seems that the entire Restore is restored (all three options, Restore Subdomains, Restore Mail Configuration, Restore MySql). I have noticed that because the quota increases. I see in File Manager files that were once deleted from the Trash folder. Is it possible to choose only the Restore Mail Configuration?

Elizabeta

Mar 21, 2018
Mostar
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Second question:

When I do a Restore Mail Configuration from ie. yesterday, Restore is done but I do not have new e-mails, for example I do not have e-mails from today, but there are in folder: /home/paneluser/mail/shop.panel.org/elizabeta/cur on command line? What is the best way to do Restore Mail but the new e-mails should stay, can I choose a different folder to place the Restore?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Elizabeta

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
If I go to WHM-Home-Backup Restoration- and only choose Restore Mail Configuration, it seems that the entire Restore is restored (all three options, Restore Subdomains, Restore Mail Configuration, Restore MySql). I have noticed that because the quota increases. I see in File Manager files that were once deleted from the Trash folder. Is it possible to choose only the Restore Mail Configuration?
This is because the full backup is restored regardless of this option. The option just allows you to disclude the mail configuration or include it in the backup restoration, this is not an option for just restoring mail.

When I do a Restore Mail Configuration from ie. yesterday, Restore is done but I do not have new e-mails, for example I do not have e-mails from today, but there are in folder: /home/paneluser/mail/shop.panel.org/elizabeta/cur on command line? What is the best way to do Restore Mail but the new e-mails should stay, can I choose a different folder to place the Restore?
Are you indicating that the mail from today is present when you restore but not present in webmail? I wouldn't expect a backup restore to retain new data just restore data that existed previously. You could take the extracted backup and rsync only the mail data to your user but that would be involved, if you're unsure how to perform that task you might want to enlist the assistance of a system administrator. If you don't have one you might find one here: Resources | cPanel Forums

Thanks!