The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring email forwarders: seeming lack of /etc/valiases these days

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by slevencordova, Aug 3, 2012.

1. slevencordova

slevencordova Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am trying to restore some email forwarders. What are my options? I have a daily backup from earlier today that I can restore, but after searching (even through the console), I can't find where the forwarders would be located to restore them. The are supposed to be located in "etc/valiases" but I cannot find this file. What am I missing?

Many thanks!

Edit: Perhaps I'm over-thinking this... would downloading the last daily or weekly backup from cpanel -> backups and then restoring using cpanel -> backups -> restore resolve my issue?

#1 slevencordova, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. NixTree

NixTree Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, complete cPanel account restore should place everything back...

If you have config file backup, restoring /etc/valiases/domain.com should bring the forwadres up though!

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Depending on how you are making backups, these would be in /backup/cpbackup/daily|weekly|monthly/dirs/_etc_valiases location where daily would be for the daily backups, weekly for the weekly backups and monthly for the monthly backups.

This would only be the case if you have selected "Enabled" option for the Backup Configuration Files (not needed for account restoration) option in WHM > Backup > Configure Backup area. These only would be backed up if you are storing backups locally. Remote FTP backups do not save the configuration files.

4. slevencordova

slevencordova Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you both for your replies. I only have "Backups" and "Backup Wizard." No plain old "Backup" to choose. I assume that I need to log in as root, which I do not have. Is this usually provided by places like GoDaddy to end users who are administrators, or does revealing this fact change everything for me? This also explains why I do not see ./etc/<anything>... I'm actually logging into /home/<MyAdminAccount>/etc. Thanks again.

5. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you extract the backup you made and show us the directory structure?

Of note, since you are aware you do not have root, selecting root administrator rather than website owner for the access level for cPanel on the forums is confusing. We base our replies on what access level we believe the individual happens to have.

6. slevencordova

slevencordova Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Tristan,

Both the "full" and the "daily" that I downloaded from cPanel -> Backups open in 7zip and Peazip (on Windows 7) with 1 error at the end. I downloaded both of these files twice and later tried right-clicking the file and choosing "unlock". These files are not set to read-only, either.

Finally, sorry for the confusion about the access level; I tried to update my forum profile here and received the following:

slevencordova, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'll try to change the access level for you. Not sure why that isn't changeable after the user has been created.

As for the backup, at this point you will need to have your hosting provider help with the issue, since they hopefully have backups for you. The current backup you have doesn't appear to be properly available or corrupted in some manner.

8. slevencordova

slevencordova Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Alright, thank you for your time!