The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restoring from an already extracted tarball - Possible?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by doitsolutions, Aug 13, 2013.

1. doitsolutions

doitsolutions Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Cpanel community,

Is this possible?:
    I want to restore an account from an already extracted tarball (cpmove file extracted by WHM to a folder, and no more cpmove file to restore from).

Example:
    For example, lets say you restored a daily backup cpmove file, the WHM system extracts the tarball's contents to a new folder in the daily folder. Then when the backup is done, it leaves it there.
    Then Lets just say that the original CPMove file is gone, and the account is gone, and the folder it was extracted to remains, can I restore this account from this data set without having to magically re-tar the data how it was? (tars within tars etc).

I assume this would mean writing a custom script? let me know if it is possible because it would mean a LOT to me.

Michael A.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It depends on the specific data in the extracted directory. If it's the same data that was originally included with the archive, you can simply compress the directory back into an archive. However, note that when you typically restore an account from a backup archive, the directory with extracted files is only temporary.

Thank you.

3. doitsolutions

doitsolutions Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Those "temporary" extracted folders seem to have all the data still inside.

I am wondering if I can restore from them without re-compressing first.

Does anyone have the script use by cpanel legacy restore?
    I want to skip step one (extract Tarbell) and perform the rest on this extracted directory.
    To re-compress in my situation would be too resource intensive.

Is this possible? Can I get hold of the restoration script to run part of it manually?

Michael A.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can try enabling "Incremental Backup" if this backup was generated by the legacy backup system via:

"WHM Home » Backup » Legacy Backup Configuration"

Then, move the directory to the appropriate backup location (e.g. /backup/cpbackup/daily), and restore it via:

"WHM Home » Backup » Legacy Restore Backups"

However, the fact that a temporary backup directory exists indicates it was likely a failed restore attempt. Thus, it's possible the backup is corrupted.

Thank you.