The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restrict Mailman to certain Cpanel Users

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by craigedmonds, Jul 4, 2010.

1. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi,

Currently, any old ragamuffin can create a mailman mailing list, upload hundreds of thousands of email sand start punding away and I am left to pick up the pieces.

Is there a way in WHM to turnoff mailman for all users except the ones that I enable?

I have two clients who use MailMan legitimately hence the need to not disable Mailman completely.

At the moment there is only a way to turn MailMan on or off globally, i need to be able to turn it off globally or turn it on only for a couple of client as and when its requested.

Kindest Regards
    Craig Edmonds

2. aapkapratik

aapkapratik Member

Hello,

As I am new I am not so sure about this but in my openion you should use Feature manger Option in WHM

Main >> Packages >> Feature Manager

In Feature Manager create two lists in one list ENABLE Mailman List Manager

And in second list DISABLE Mailman List Manager.

Now under Packages

Main >> Packages >> Edit a Package

Edit Packages with the list of your choice e.g. list1 or list2.

and you can Upgrade/Downgrade an Account existing account from

Main >> Account Functions >> Upgrade/Downgrade an Account

Or create account with this package depending upon your choice to whom you wish to offer mailing list

#2 aapkapratik, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. craigedmonds

craigedmonds Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes, this would work but not ideal as you have to carefully manage the different features list.

Ideal solution would be to have something like CSF Mail Manage where you can manually choose the domain mail limits from a list of domains.

4. Miraenda

Miraenda Well-Known Member

When you've been setting up new accounts, did you leave the Max Mailing Lists option to unlimited? If so, then that's why they are able to use Mailman. You could fix this on all existing accounts:

Code:
    cd /var/cpanel/users
    replace MAXLST=unlimited MAXLST=0 -- *
    /scripts/updateuserdomains
    This will change MAXLST=unlimited to MAXLST=0 for all of those accounts. It won't remove the mailing lists they've already created, though. Also, you would want to change the mailing list value when you create a new account to have 0 instead of unlimited. It's in WHM > Create a New Account > Select Options Manually area where it has Max Mailing Lists listed. If you simply create a new package for accounts to use, you can load that package with the Max Mailing Lists set to 0.