The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restrict Max Mailbox size

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by maggot96, Apr 11, 2009.

1. maggot96

maggot96 Member

Is there a way in WHM or Cpanel to set a maximum that a client can make their mailbox size. I have some clients that I am worried will exploit mailbox quota and use all their monthly quota just on mail, then complain there isnt enough quota for them cause they are just too lazy to delete emails from their inbox.

2. servertechs

servertechs Active Member

3. maggot96

maggot96 Member

That link you sent me was about the packages. Packages don't seem to allow for setting a maximum mailbox size. Just the amount of mailbox's allowed and the maximum bandwidth allowed. I'd like to set a maximum mailbox size for individual accounts where the user cannot set their mailbox quota to be above a certain amount I set. Am not sure if it is possible but am hoping it is.

4. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As far as I know, that's not possible. In the past I've noticed that cPanel would allow you to set a size larger then the physical disk space allowed to the account, not sure if that's still the case, but beleive it is.

Strictly speaking, cPanel shouldn't allow you to set a size larger than the disk space assigned to the account...

5. elkram

elkram Active Member

If I understand the question, then yes it can be done---if you have access to the base user account for that client. Log in, go to Mail....Add/Remove/Manage Accounts... and you can set the quota for each mailbox there.

Alternatively, to do it from WHM, one way is to install and use CSF Mail Manage http://www.configserver.com/cp/cmm.html .

6. maggot96

maggot96 Member

Sorry I think I confused everyone. I know the client can go in and modify their mailbox quota through their cpanel, but I want as the root account of the server to be able to set a maximum limit to mailbox's so that no-one can go in and make their mailbox size any more then the limit I set. They can still go in and modify the quota of their mailbox through the cpanel, but they cannot go above the limit I set. It sounds like it isnt an option in the WHM. May have to look into doing it with Linux.

7. AlexandreVeezon

AlexandreVeezon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well

If there's a way to do this, you will have to hack the files/system.
    So, in the first upcp, your hack will be lost.

I just have one thing to say:
    Maybe your customers are just too lazy to delete mail from their mailbox, ok. What would you do when they become lazy to another thing? These things will not stop to happen. Customers can be very lazy sometimes :)

Ok, back to the main theme... If you disable webmails in Tweak Settings, your customers will have to use Mail Clients, such Outlook Express. These softwares have default configuration to delete mail after POP, so it can solve your doubt.

Hope it can help you!
    Thanks ;)